Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

September 20th, 2008 22:00

XPS M140 Malicious Virus found!!!!

Theres 2 malicious virus found on my laptop! Its extremely obnoxious and it makes my laptop perform slower than usual.

Basically I tried to fix the problem by Launching the Driver Reset Tool. Its supposedly makes my laptop go back to factory performance..? However that didnt work...? Maybe I missed a step-- though I followed the setup instructions.... Or maybe Im suppose to open a different file. I dont know. I lost the manual. :)

Any other suggestions?

I went to Best Buy they have a $100 fee for the Geek squad to fix the problem and 2 weeks wait! I dont want to wait that long its imperative the laptop gets fixed HELP!

Thanks 

Message Edited by cliquezici on 09-20-2008 06:15 PM

4.6K Posts

September 25th, 2008 13:00

@cliquezici wrote:

Is there a delete virus button I dont know about?

If only getting rid of viruses was as easy as just clicking a button :smileysurprised: :D

Do you still have the 'recovery' partition on your laptop?
Assunming you do... follow this official 'Restoring your [Dell] computer to the factory settings' guide, to restore the laptop back to its factory settings?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 21st, 2008 00:00

Back up your data, power on, press CTRL-F11 once at the Dell screen and follow the prompts.  Since the factory image is over two years out of date, be sure you run all Windows critical updates and install new antivirus software after restoring the system.

8 Posts

September 21st, 2008 18:00

How do I check to see if the virus is still there? It may be stiill there it takes a minute or more to remove programs or download programs. Maybe theres 1 virus still.

I have Webroot SpySweeper Antivirus and TrendMicro Anti2008. The reason why it didnt work as it was suppose to was the 2 viruses were occupying the laptop... I didnt know the Antivurses werent working to its full potential untill I went to get laptop checked.

(When I did the System Recovery the Owners manual was back on the desktop-- I mustve deleted the first time around.)

So is System Recovery the same thing as Dell Diagnostic? The last message I was told to CTRL F11.

For Dell Diagnostic its just

I was skimming the manual the manaul isnt that helpful. It needs a section that will help remove viruses.

Thanks for the helpful response!

Message Edited by cliquezici on 09-21-2008 02:46 PM

4.6K Posts

September 22nd, 2008 06:00

The Dell Diagnostics just check for hardware problems.
The System Recovery returns the laptop to exactly how it was when you first received the laptop.
It formats the hard drive in the process, which would've gotten rid of the virus.
If you suspect you may still have one, you need to perform a scan ASAP, before it gets any worse!

You can also use one or more of the many online virus scanner's to check the system.
Just Google 'online virus scanner', and you'll find them offered by the majority of the major security vendors - i.e. Eset, Kaspersky, F-Secure, Trend Micro, Bit Defender, etc etc.

8 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 19:00

"It formats the hard drive in the process, which would've gotten rid of the virus."

I have a very malicious virus since I havent rid of it yet. Its playing mind games! Im frustrated.  

"If you suspect you may still have one, you need to perform a scan ASAP, before it gets any worse!"

It IS worse now as in I am not able to access my desktop! So I am not able to access the internet. Any other suggestions or Is this the end of me trying to fix my laptop. :(

I did the Dell Diagnostic anyways and everything seems to be working fine. Its the darn virus keeps turning my laptop off.

4.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2008 08:00

The Dell Diagnostics routines just check for hardware problems - not software problems.

Can you confirm you followed EJN63's advice, and performed a factory image recovery?
The only reason I can think of why a recovery installation wouldn't get rid of a virus, is if it was a boot sector virus?
But most good AV programs nowadays, should be able to detect and get rid of even a boot sector virus?

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode, then running your anti virus program?

8 Posts

September 23rd, 2008 18:00

Yes yes I followed EJN63's advice CTRL F11.
Since I wasnt able to get rid of the virus the first time around should I try it again or will it ruin the system?

What is Safe Mode? I am not able to access my desktop so I cant run my anti virus programs.

4.6K Posts

September 24th, 2008 04:00

To get into Safe Mode... keep pressing F8 during the startup process, and you'll be presented with a menu of different startup options, the top one of which is Safe Mode.
Once you're at the desktop, run your anti virus program ;)

8 Posts

September 25th, 2008 03:00

Ok I did Safe Mode. Nothing seems to be working...

Any other suggestions? Is there a delete virus button I dont know about?

8 Posts

September 26th, 2008 03:00

Yes I did Restoring my [Dell] computer to the factory settings' twice already.

^^By the way Its basically CTRL F11. I have the controls memorized now.

It didnt say that if nothing worked I couldnt restore the system again. So I CTRL F11 once more followed all the promps..!! W.E.

It seems to be working better... ...Than the First time around when I had set it on restore. 

So now.. Im contemplating whether I should work on the laptop some more :) 'till the weekend to get it checked for viruses.

Message Edited by cliquezici on 09-25-2008 11:07 PM
No Events found!