Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2009 00:00

XPS M1730 Max CPU Upgrade?

Current CPU is a T8300. I had no upgrade path for the CPU on the Dell config screen when ordering, but that was fine since it was a very good deal.

Since I might be opening the case up anyway to add another 320GB drive and RAM i was considering dropping in a faster CPU.

So what is the fastest one that chipset will take? I see they now offer (in Canada) a 9500, but no options here for any of the overclockable "X" series from Intel.

I'm assuming the days of jumpers and dip switches are over by now and the mainboard will recognize the CPU without trouble?

I wont be installing the latest and greatest because of price, but probably one or two versions behind the fastest one it will recognize.

We have Newegg Canada up here and they have some very, very good prices on mobile CPU's.

Thank You

4.6K Posts

April 16th, 2009 09:00

I don't know if current models have a different/newer motherboard than yours or mine, but the XPS M1730's being offered on the US site, can be specified with up to a Core2Duo Extreme X9000 @ 2.8GHz (for a price!) - or a T9500 @ 2.6GHz.

You're probably best contacting tech support for confirmation of your upgrade options though.

And then weigh up whether the cost of the new CPU, is offset (in your opinion) by the additional speed you'll get from it :emotion-55:

No Events found!