Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2015 17:00

XPS13 2015 Headphone Jack not working

My XPS13 9343 headphone jack is not working.  I've re-installed the default audio drivers but no luck.  I ran the diagnostic tools and it reads my headphones microphone but will not play audio thru them.

May 19th, 2015 19:00

Hi,
Ideally, when we connect the earphones or headphones it should be picked up as a default device, but I dont see that happening in this situation.
Can you please set a default device under volume control playback option.
When you connect the earphone, does it list under the playback devices?
Regards

2 Posts

May 27th, 2015 08:00

I had the same issue on my XPS 13 (2015) - after spending an hour on the phone with tech support reinstalling drivers, etc, they reinstalled (or updated) the dell support assist software or driver and that fixed it for me.  Strange why that would have anything to do with it, but it worked.

May 19th, 2015 04:00

Hi, 

How about the internal speakers?

When did the trouble start? Please try doing a system restore. 

If none works, then the audio jack could be the problem.

Regards

May 19th, 2015 06:00

The internal speakers work fine.  I did some more testing and discovered that if i update the driver while headphones are plugged in they work.  That tells me that the actual jack is fine but the audio controller is not reading when headphones are plugged in.

May 20th, 2015 05:00

The headphones do not show up as an option under playback devices.

I have been trying some different solutions from other community posts and another issue has arose.  The Dell Audio program in control panel will not open.

May 20th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

This sounds more of a software than a hardware. Please try updating the audio manager file.
If you can recall when the issue happened, try a system restore and let us know.
I am afraid eventually we will end up reinstalling windows if none works.
Regards

30 Posts

May 27th, 2015 12:00

AFAIK, all modern computers generally treat the speaker and headphone output (if avalable) as separate audio output devices, at least at the lowest levels of the hardware.

You indicated internal speakers work normally. If you plug in headphones, while audio is playing does it continue to come through the internal speakers? If it does mute the internal speakers does turning up the volume change anything? If you don't even hear static/amplifier noise, in the headphones, there may be a problem with the output amp for the headphones. If the music is faint, you may have high resistance voice coils in your headphones, and may need an external headphone amp, in order to generate the voltages needed to get acceptable volume from the headphones. If you have any other headphones with a 3.5mm jack try those, to rule out a complete failure of your headset. you could also try plugging the headphones in question into an iPod or smartphone, to make sure they work properly.

Does your headset have two 3.5mm headphone jacks or just one with two rings, like you get with most smartphones now?

there may be a physical switch in the headphone jack that serves to tell the computer that headphones are connected. it is far more common for this switch to become stuck in the "Connected" state, where you would always get audio to headphones, because the computer always thinks there are headphones connected.

Additionally, are you certain that the mic is working? If It's a single plug situation and the jack is bad you may still be using the mic that is built into the laptop. You could use the open source Audacity program to see of you actually can see an incoming signal when tapping on the headset mic.

1 Message

June 7th, 2015 23:00

I'm having the exact same problem.

My headphones (apple earbuds, or any) are not recognized, internal speakers work perfectly, (when i connect they don't even mute). I did a system restore and updated the BIOS and installed every driver suggested.

Please help

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 11th, 2015 09:00

Ever since this XPS 13 9343 model has come out we have seen more posts about audio issues with it than I have seen in years for a new model. I would advise anyone who considers audio to be an important laptop feature to avoid this model until the audio bugs are worked out.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 09:00

I don't think that is necessary.  A call to tech support solved the issue for me - my audio jack for my XPS 13 works fine now.

1 Message

June 12th, 2015 04:00

I am experiencing the same problem. It started two or three days ago. I know it's not hardware related because when I update drivers it works but as soon as I plug out my headphones and plug them back in it doesn't wokr again (sound comes out just from internal speakers). Any suggestions? Is Dell going to update audio drivers soon?

2 Posts

June 15th, 2015 08:00

This is the same issue I've been having with mine.

Steps to Reproduce Issue:

- Play Audio, Plug in Headphones

- Sound continues to play from internal speakers

Also Noticed:

- Dell Audio application not starting

Workaround:

- Restart machine with headphones plugged in

or

- Sleep/Wake machine with headphones plugged in.

After restart/sleep, headphones will work until they are unplugged, at which time the issue re-occurs.

**Possible Fix**:
- (Running Win8.1) I tried a windows refresh ("Refresh your PC without affecting your files") and now the "Dell Audio" app works and detects my headphones being plugged in and unplugged.

10 Posts

July 14th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for this!  Sleeping with headphones in worked.  It still *** but at least we can get it to work.  Will try a windows refresh now since my Dell Audio app also doesn't work.

Thanks!

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2015 19:00

Yep, Sleep worked. 

It's a shame that in 2015 support is still saying to Restore....seriously?

It's a driver software issue. Fix it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 24th, 2015 08:00

Earlier in this thread the Dell guy wrote:

"When did the trouble start? Please try doing a system restore. "

I think he meant that if it worked until recently, try using Windows System Restore to try to undo whatever caused the problem. Using Windows System Restore to return to a recent Restore Point is not a big deal and quite different from performing a full system recovery.

After performing a system recovery it might take hours or days to get your system back the way you like it.

No Events found!