Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2016 13:00

XPS15z only turns on when battery not plugged in

I have an XPS 15z. About a month ago the battery stopped charging and after some quick googling I determined it was likely a charging jack problem. So I ordered a new one from Dell via Amazon (my laptop is several years old and no longer under warranty), and in the meantime used another laptop. Today finally had free time to install new charging jack.

Good news - the new jack works! Bad news - the laptop will only turn on if the battery is disconnected. If I try to power on with the battery connected, the charging light on the laptop flashes red (usually signals low battery/not plugged in), the laptop makes a brief startup noise, and then dies. This happens even with AC adapter plugged in. With AC adapter plugged in but no battery the laptop turns on normally. I've tried discharging static (unplugging battery and adapter and holding power button for 10 secs) but this does nothing.

Any ideas? Would a connected dead battery prevent the laptop from powering on? Did not using the laptop for several weeks do something to the battery? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

July 1st, 2016 21:00

Hi Whatthebattery

Thanks for writing to us. 

Please try another battery if possible.

Without the battery, with the ac adapter connected power up the machine, post powering on connect the battery, let us know if any changes with this procedure. Also check if the battery charges. If yes, then update the BIOS from support.euro.dell.com and let us know how it goes.  

Check in BIOS the status for ac adapter and battery as well and keep us posted.

Do try this battery on another machine if feasible.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

July 2nd, 2016 19:00

hi we are awaiting your response.

No Events found!