Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2016 16:00

after Windows 10 anniversary update, Inspiron 5459 freezes if wifi is turned off or wifi access point is changed, is there a solution to this problem?

I recently updated my Inspiron 14" 5459 to the Windows 10 anniversary update, i noticed that when my wifi access point changes or wifi signal drops or turning off wifi, my laptop semi-freezes, you could still scroll with the mouse or track pad and select open tabs but that's all, clicking other icons and even the windows start menu does not work, if you wait for more than 5 minutes, everything goes back to normal. Waiting around for about 5 minutes is annoying so what I do is press ctrl alt delete and from there restart the laptop. my wifi adapter is updated to the most recent version and also both graphics card (intel hd 520 and amd radeon m335) is also updated to the latest version.  Any suggestion on how to resolve this issue?

August 10th, 2016 23:00

Please confirm the wireless card from the device manger or the network control panel. Also please update the BIOS firmware to the latest version. The BIOS update should ideally be version v1.2.2. Also please try system out with  a LAN cable as well to confirm if is indeed caused by the wireless. Though this may not run a complete diagnostics on the network you can run a hardware diagnostics on the computer using the following steps

1. Shutdown the computer
  2. Hold the 'Fn' key and turn on the computer
  3. Let go of the 'Fn' key after 2 seconds

This is will initiate the H/w diagnostics. Please let us know if it completes or if  you run into any errors. If  you do run into any errors. 

6 Posts

August 11th, 2016 05:00

I've partially sorted out what causes the problem, I noticed that everytime I try to turn off the wifi or the wifi access point changes, a notification appears first that states "nothing to monitor" and I use the software Netmeter in monitoring my wifi bandwith, I suspect everytime Windows 10 Action Center prompts "nothing to monitor" causes the system to partially freeze. I tried disabling the Netmeter and the problem goes away, I also tried installing another bandwith monitoring software Networx to see if Netmeter is causing the freeze, but same thing happens.  Before the Windows 10 anniversary update, I don't have this problem while using Netmeter.  I'll try to check first my Bios version because upon buying this laptop I did a Bios update and that solved the problem of long pressing the power button inorder for the laptop to power up.  thanks for the advice.  Will update more of my findings as soon as I can.

August 14th, 2016 17:00

Glad to hear that. Do let us know if any assistance is required.

6 Posts

August 15th, 2016 05:00

I have updated my Bios to the latest version but still the problem persists if I turn off the wifi and while network monitoring software is running, be it Netmeter or Networx.

August 15th, 2016 23:00

If the issue always occurs when you try use Netmeter or Networx, you can try uninstalling the software or booting the computer to safe mode with networking to check if the system has any freezing issues with the network. Also please let us know the wireless card installed on the computer. You can get that information from the device manager.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 16th, 2016 05:00

:emotion-2:

Microsoft admitted there's a problem with the Anniversary update for some computers. Microsoft says it's looking into a permanent solution for the problem, but in the meantime, has offered a temporary fix

mspoweruser.com/.../

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 16th, 2016 05:00

:emotion-2:

6 Posts

September 7th, 2016 05:00

the wireless card installed on my Dell Inspiron 5459 is Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC-3160,  I've decided not to run any net monitoring software for now just to avoid the freezing issue.

No Events found!