Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2013 18:00

asking for password because it is protected by a password authentication system

my dell laptop turns on but it goes to a screen that says it is protected by a password authentication system and ask for a password but it will not let you type in anything and after pushing enter 3 times it shuts down....went to www.dellsupport.com and I do not see this problem discussed anywhere. I have tried pushing the F2 and the F8 and it will not go off of that screen.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 21st, 2013 18:00

You need to call Dell with verification of ownership -- they'll generate a master password for you.  There is a $60 suppot call charge unless you're in warranty.

1.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 02:00

Hi cherub1,

It appears that it is asking for the BIOS password.

You may send me the system information via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). Please include the following information:

• System Service Tag.
  • Account Holder's Name.
  • Exact Error Message as it appears on screen (including any * sign or # sign).

Please reply with the information.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 13:00

tag #

Cheryl Richardson and I bought it from 
AARONS Rentals

Dell Inc.

www.dell.com

This computer system, # , is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password.

Please type in the system or administrator password and press ENTER. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 14:00

Return the system to the seller and insist that either the password be removed, or on a refund.

1.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 08:00

@ejn63: Appreciate your inputs.

@Cheryl: If you haven't considered returning the system (as suggested by ejn63). I have your system details and I can try to generate a master password. Let me know, how you would like to proceed.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

1 Message

March 18th, 2014 10:00

hi.I have been asked by my sister in law, to sort out her late husbands Dell laptop. My brother passed away last year and and never told them what the pasword was. The message on the screen says " This computer system, # -595B, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password. Please type in the primary or administrator password and press [Enter] " I would really appreciate any help you can give with regards to this as its going to be used by her two young children. THank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2014 11:00

She just needs to call Dell with verification of ownership -- they will generate a password she can use to clear the existing one.

1 Message

October 21st, 2014 07:00

I contacted Dell gave all the info and owner info. They gave me two passwords but both of them do not work. Now what do I do. This is an 1tb SSD I dont want to just go buy another one.... 

1 Message

December 11th, 2015 13:00

What is a master password for a dell laptop latitude?Please tell me bc I don't know

May 2nd, 2017 03:00

System Service Tag no: 

Account holder's name : Silambarasan A

Error message: This computer system, #5KS62J1-595B, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 04:00

You need to place a voice phone call to Dell support to obtain the unlock key.  You'll need to verify your ownership of the system before they'll assist with this procedure.

No Events found!