Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

8 Posts

December 9th, 2004 19:00

c610 fan diag problem

ran the diag tests on a C610 and noticed a problem with the fan tests.  the diags show 2 fans but only one is present.  Run the test on the processor fan - high = 6645 rpm, low = 3725 fails test, expects to see 7080 rpm, does not complain about the rpms on the high speed test.
Mother board fan - (same one spins up) high = 8941 rpm, low = 8941 passes test.
Is the fan good or not??????

diag version v1221.0 - just downloaded today 

3.2K Posts

December 9th, 2004 20:00

There ar 2 fans on a C610. One is under the right back side and faces down, if you turn the unit over you can see it, and it will run at 2 different speeds. Tis fan cools the heatsink for the CPU. The other fan is on the back of the unit, it is very small and is inside what looks like a vent on the backpanel near all the ports, and only runs at one speed, high. This fan is to cool the video card and draw off heat from the center of the motherboard.

In just ran the test on a C640, basically the same unit except for the P4 CPU, and I got

High speed CPU fan 6830, Low speed CPU 3872

High speed motherboard fan 8628, Low speed MB 8335

It sounds like the same one spins up and maybe the CPU fan is wired to spin when ever the MB fan turns on. When the test was running on the MB fan I put my hand near the vent on the side for the CPU fan I could not feel any air coming from it. I could feel air coming out of the back fan. Mine passed both tests.

Run the test agian and feel on the back for any air movement.

8 Posts

December 9th, 2004 21:00

Thanks !

the small one on the back is the one I missed.

No Events found!