Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2015 09:00

closing lid sometimes does not sleep the machine (XPS 13 2015 version)

I seem to have a problem when I close the lid on my new XPS 13 - mid spec broadwell 2015 version.

It does seem to be intermittent and not always repeatable but I will also try to confirm this.

Basically I can think of 2 recent instances where I closed the lid, no power plugged in, and it appeard it had not slept.

In one example I opened the lid a day later (power not plugged in) and the battery was flat.

The second example was I put it in a laptop bag, took it out after about 1 hour and it was very very hot with the fan going and had drained a full battery to 40% within that short time in my bag. I am certain it was in tight enough such that it would not have accidentally been opened.

I had done all relevant BIOS updates and windows updates as necessary. and the setting in control panel is set for the laptop to 'sleep'when the lid is closed (I haven't touched these settings so this is the default setting)

Any thoughts?

12 Posts

March 25th, 2016 06:00

Rhomusic, could you be so kind to point out the link to the driver that you have installed? Or if you have no link, at least check from Device Manager what is the exact device name and driver version. According to my research, Intel Rapid Start driver is not supported in Windows 10.

Today the Dell driver auto detect website claimed that my Intel Chipset driver is not up to date, even though the latest update was almost one year old. I downloaded the driver and in deed some details changed in Device Manager (e.g. there was one device simply called "Intel Device" that disappeared during driver installation). However, the sleeping problem did not change. I also tried reinstalling Intel Rapid Storage Driver with no help.

I have basically given up since a long time ago: the laptop just does not sleep. If I am lucky on some occasions, it might sleep properly for a while, but typically not at all. I still do not understand how is this not a reason for replacing the machine? They just tell me that if I need help, I should contact the support again. The laptop has also visited a local repair and came back without any explanations and with the same issues.

5 Posts

March 25th, 2016 18:00

Here is the link to the Intel Rapid Start thing that is on my computer:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21612/Intel-Rapid-Start-Technology

As I've stated in my first post on this thread, I did a factory reset from the factory partition. I did not in any way reinstall the driver myself. The factory reset put my computer back to Windows 8.1 Home Edition. From there, I did the Upgrade to Windows 10 option that you find on the taskbar (the icon will not appear immediately; it will eventually though). When I successfully upgraded the operating system, the machine was able to go to sleep properly after hours of operation. 

Again, I want to make it very clear that I did not install the Intel Rapid Start thing on my own. The factory partition on that is shipped with the Dell XPS 13 did that for me when I did a factory reset. It should also be noted that did any of this, I had upgraded Windows 10 from an .iso file and pressed the "remove all files" (or something along those lines in the Windows 10 Upgrade client). 

This installation of Windows 10 did not work, so then I did the stuff in yellow highlight.

With that said, I'm suggesting that a possible fix for those of you who don't want to have to do a factory reset is to install the Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver. This is a separate driver from the Intel Rapid Storage Driver. I hypothesize that it is the combination of these two Intel drivers together that allows the the Intel CPU to tell the SSD to store data on the RAM (and vice versa) when you sleep the computer or wake it up. I can only hope that for those of you who try this that it fixes your problem.

And yes, it does *** that Dell or Microsoft won't replace these machines. I'm not even asking for them to replace them. They need to have better support that doesn't have some Indian guy reading off a paper script trying to "fix" issues. Or, just make sure the computer works in the first place. We pay big bucks for machines like these and we expect them to work. Surely if Dell gets any of these problems right, they would be poised to be the number one seller of computer hardware (and not HP or Lenovo). They could just pay people like me to help on these suppot forums and give some real answers and tips to problems. hehe

Anyways, hope that helps everyone!

9 Posts

April 9th, 2016 13:00

Hi JA5KA and others suffering from same pathetic problem,

I dont know if you guys have noticed, but the problem occurs when laptop is trying to go to hibernation from sleep after 3 hours of sleeping [Checked from : powercfg/batteryreport] after the lid was closed or manually put to sleep. It simply cannot get out of the loop and keeps on burning the battery. And this glitch is not occurring always,rather occasionally which indicates there is a serious loop hole in Dell's driver functions. Intel Rapid Start Driver is not an option, as it is not compatible with clean Windows 10 installation. The only resort left is to disable hibernation which I am about to try, although it cannot be in any way a proper solution to a premium product like XPS 13 with addition to battery drainage in constant attempt.

I am also fed up and *** off like anything by the Dell responses. It is really disheartening to see such support from a top brand that too for a premium product like this. Now with the random mini heart attacks while seeing your laptop fry hot in bags, only option left is maybe to wait for a miraculous response from Dell.

UPDATE 1 : Ok out of nowhere, today I have received a BIOS update 1.3.3 While updating, it showed following modifications :

1. Intel (R) Management Engine Firmware Update

2. Main USD TYPE-C Controller 1 Update

3. EC BIOS Update. 

So now I am kind of interested to see the change after firmware update of Intel Management Engine. Lets see where it takes.

UPDATE 2 : Ok so the nightmare still exist even after the BIOS update 1.3.3 . I seriously don't know what to do now. This was my biggest wrong decision to buy this product.

April 24th, 2016 18:00

Hi guys,

I was having the same problem. In addition I was also unable to shut down my XPS 13. It would just restart automatically. Power drainage solved my problem. So press the power button for 15 seconds and then turn the laptop back on. The problem should be gone. It helped me, I hope it also helps you.

9 Posts

April 24th, 2016 21:00

@AZERBAIJANI, yeah that's a temporary solution to get out of the loop. But it will be occurring over and over again. And its not possible everytime to fry up your laptop and then give hard shutdown.

April 25th, 2016 07:00

As far as I understand, Dell has not suggested any permanent solution yet. Until they do, we will have to take this as a solution I am afraid. Do you suggest any way to solve it permanently?

9 Posts

April 25th, 2016 09:00

As you said Dell hasn't suggested any proper solution yet. I have already tried all of their basic troubleshooting steps , ie : BIOS update, Graphics Driver Update, System Restore. Last BIOS 1.3.3 update seemed impressive from its description, but no luck whatsoever same nightmare persists. So no permanent solution yet. And honestly I don't know whether there will be any actual solution from Dell. From the timeline of this thread, it doesn't seem so. :)

371 Posts

April 25th, 2016 18:00

have you all disabled the Intel Management Engine driver.. if its the same problem that a bunch of us solved after win 10 became available..

go to device manager

system devices (may need to click on it)

click Intel Management Engine 

disable driver

reboot

there are more complicated ways to solve this problem.. this solution is easy and it works. if youre on this site looking for help, then you dont need that driver running. its for IT guys in large corporate networks to access your laptop when its asleep or any other time..

12 Posts

May 5th, 2016 13:00

This is not addressing directly the issue about "not sleeping" but might or might not be related.

It is a bit absurd but on top of having problems to put the laptop to sleep, I have had hard times keeping the laptop not sleeping and finally decided to investigate the issue at least a bit.

Setup: laptop running, music playing, charger plugged in (and double checked that it really is).
Turn off the display, on battery: 2 minutes
Put the computer to sleep, on battery: 15 minutes
Turn off the display, plugged in: Never
Put the computer to sleep, plugged in: Never

If I lock the laptop with Win+L, it takes less than a minute(!) for the music to stop playing, screen to go off and the machine to go into some kind of low power state.

If I modify the on battery settings to never even though I am plugged in all the time, the problem disappears.

I wonder whether the rest of you with sleep issues have also this problem? Would this help Dell representatives to investigate the complete issue?

12 Posts

May 5th, 2016 13:00

Farhan37, sorry for a very late reply. No, my key issue is not that the laptop would wake up several hours after sleep command. When I put my laptop to sleep, the fans slow down just to get back on within less than a second. Display remains off but all CPU intensive applications seem to be able to keep on running with full speed.

63 Posts

May 6th, 2016 05:00

Really no help to offer.  Just an observation.   It is very frustrating to me that on my new Dell XPS13 9350 there is no way to tell whether the machine is on when the lid is closed.  There should be a visible power light as to the power state of the machine. 

I have a LED on the front edge of the machine but that shows if the battery is plugged in drawing power.  I should not have to listen for the fan or see if the machine is warm to the touch.  My Lenovo tells me if it is still on from a LED.  Since some of these machine don't want to turn off even after closing the lid, it makes the lack of a visible power indicator on the outside that much more important.  My machine is on now, plugged in, using monitor but other than the monitor, there is no way to tell the machine's power is on.  Front light is off because the battery is fully charged.

13 Posts

May 13th, 2016 00:00

I have been using my XPS 13 nearly a year now. After a few horrifying overheating moments I have got into the habit to lightly push the power button before closing the lid, since then i have not experienced the issue of overheated fried machine any more.

I am using an older driver for the WIFI as the current Dell version only sees about 4m if you are lucky unless you have a hitech WIFI router.

4 Posts

May 18th, 2016 06:00

I'm having the same issue...closing the lid is not putting the laptop to sleep. Come back a few hours later..battery totally flat. Power options are configured correctly.

I've just tried a Reset of Windows 10 and the problem appears to have gotten worse as the system now hangs on resuming with numerous errors reported in the windows reliability log.

2 Posts

May 21st, 2016 01:00

I have the same problem, after doing a hard shutdown the sleep will work for a bit but then the problem comes back. Also after shutting down by clicking the xps 13 will restart on it's own. 

My computer didn't always do this just within the last month or so. So far I've uninstalled Mcafee checked all the power settings mention, disabled the Intel Management Engine drive. All the drivers and Bios seem to be up to date. nothings worked so far.

2 Posts

May 30th, 2016 12:00

Doing a windows system restore and reseting the bios settings to "factory default" cured my problem. Still no issues after installing all the latest drivers and windows updates.

No Events found!