Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2014 09:00

dell e4200 + mini-card Internet help

Hello

I have an interesting issue here...

I got a dell e4200 used from someone, and it didnt have the wireless 3g card inside, so i went out and got one... i installed it, the computer and everything detects the card and installed the drivers accprdingly. I even installed them manual as well... I believe when the computer was first built it has never built with the card installed. however all the connections etc are there, including the pins for the SIM card and the wires for the antenna.

i have the sony ericsson mobile manager software to get it hooked up to the net... i have a valid SIM card installed under the battery.

My issue is, it refused to connect to the network... The PC sees the card, detects the card, the BIOs was updated and that sees the card and everything is turned on in the BIOs. However whenever i open the connection manager from SE, it says no broadband card installed, and when i go to view, information, it doesnt list an IMEI etc like as if that card isnt there. Yet in device manager, the PC clearly shows the card there and installed, and working correctly.

There are times when in the task bar where the wifi signal is there, i open that and see that the wireless network is listed there, i click that and it tries to connect but fails right away saying, connection error code 0 and i havent been able to find anything about that error...

im out of ideas where, i have tried everything, rolling back the drivers, installing the latest, removing the card, trying out different SIM cards. nothing is working.... can someone help?

Info:

Dell e4200

windows 7 ultimate

WWAN 5530 card unlocked.

not sure what else you might need to know, someone please help me figure this out...

52 Posts

March 6th, 2014 11:00

Hi,

Since the computer is able to detect the card and install the drivers, the hardware component is eliminated in this issue. As for the software component and the configuration settings, you would need to contact the service provider and have them help you install an appropriate connection manager software and help you configure this for you.

Thanks.
VJ

8 Posts

March 6th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the input VJ

I dont see how that would help, as no connection manager is showing the IMEI of the card. Regardless of the connection manager or trying to connect, the connection manager is showing that no card is installed. that would have nothing to do with the carrier on who i want to use it with. no matter what connection manager should show me that a broadband modem is installed and shows me the IMEI. If it did and i clicked connect and then it show an error, yes i would say i need to contact the carrier. However in this case all connection managers i try to use show no modem is installed.

8 Posts

March 11th, 2014 13:00

Hello VJ

Hope you had a good couple days off, again i thank you for your help in this

There are no other dongles or anything. That has been the only thing i have installed. Only dongle i guess would be for my wireless mouse, nothing for 3g or anything like that. 

I have the mini card installed on the motherboard where its suppose to go, with the proper cables attached to it (ei: the main and aux antennas) and i have an active 3g SIM card installed that has a data plan attached to it

here is the picture which you requested:

52 Posts

March 11th, 2014 13:00

Hi,

Thank you for the details. Apologies for the delays because of my off days. To understand this setup a little better, a 3G SIM card is all that has been installed, right? There are no other connectors/adapters/dongles, right?

Also, can you send me a picture of the device manager showing this card?

Let me review this and get back with an update.

Thanks.
VJ

8 Posts

March 17th, 2014 22:00

any updates VJ?

8 Posts

March 18th, 2014 14:00

No problem, just wanted to make sure you didnt forget about me :)

take all the time you need, im in no rush to figure this out.

thanks again for all your help

52 Posts

March 18th, 2014 14:00

Apologies for the delays. This is still work in progress and I'm checking with our Level 3 teams. Please bear with me for a little longer.

Thanks.
VJ

52 Posts

March 20th, 2014 12:00

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. I've been checking this further and we would need a few more details about the setup.

You mentioned in your previous post that the mini card is installed and a SIM card installed. Why is there a reference to the mini card and where is the SIM card installed?

Can you send me a couple of pictures to show what the mini card is and where it is installed and further, another picture to show where the SIM card is installed?

Thanks
VJ

8 Posts

April 5th, 2014 12:00

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, work has been stupid busy and taking up most of my time, other then sleeping

here are the pictures you requested

8 Posts

April 27th, 2014 23:00

do you need anything else from me?

8 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 12:00

still waiting on a resolution for this...

No Events found!