Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2014 19:00

dell inspiron laptop (cant remember model number, maybe 1545!

hi all, just a quick question, since yesterday every time I've been turning on my laptop, I have been getting a warning message saying "windows has detected a problem with the hard disk", I've tried rebooting several times & also bringing up the boot options by pressing f12 when booting up, is there any way possible i can fix this without replacing the hard drive? I am willing to do anything to save the hard drive that is currently in, i have no data on the laptop as it was completely wiped a few months ago, so Im not too fussed about having to do something & losing my documents, i would just by a hard drive and get it replaced as it seems easy enough but i would rather save myself the hassle and just try to fix it, its well out of warranty as it is around 5 or 6 years old, also forgot to mention around 3 years ago it completely went off, would not turn on or anything, so i just left it sitting under my bed as i had another laptop at the time, then by chance about 4 months ago i tried to turn it on and it worked haha just did a quick reboot and it was as good as new, now i have started getting this message, if anyone could give me some advice i would really appreciate it, thanks... Steven

11 Posts

July 31st, 2014 19:00

also, forgot to mention that ive ran disk checks etc & everything seems fine, so im just hoping its something simple, could it have something to do with the amount of time i spend on it? its on quite easily 10 hours a day as i take it to work (i have a boring job) so thinking the hard drive could be toasted but hopefully im wrong!

11 Posts

August 1st, 2014 12:00

??????????????????????????????????

11 Posts

August 1st, 2014 13:00

im not sure i think my sister in law done that today when she was trying to fix it, i will give it a shot just incase though, could you give me a few steps to follow me thru please

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 1st, 2014 13:00

Have you in fact run a full hard drive diagnostic (f12 at powerup - do the extended test, NOT just the 10-minute one)?

If so, what were the results?

The test will take about two hours to complete.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 1st, 2014 16:00

11 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 14:00

Here is the message i am receiving. error code - 2000-0146 hard drive 0 - self test log contains previous errors. the given error code and message can be used by dell technical support to help diagnose the problem is the hard drive completely broken?

11 Posts

Hi Phillip. Now i can not even turn the laptop on. When pressing f12 on start up and going to repair computer, its running a test then a few moments later a message is appearing with loud beeping. I would attach a photo but i am unable to on my phone. I think im just going to buy a new hard drive and get a technician to fit it how much could i get a hard drive for of the specific model laptop? Or do all dell laptops have the same hard drive? Regards. Steven

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It'll take any standard 2.5" SATA notebook drive (9.5 mm or 7 mm with an adapter).  That said, a bad drive won't produce beeping - something else other than just the drive is bad.

To interpret the beep codes, see here:

http://blog.parts-people.com/2014/06/27/dell-inspiron-1545-beep-codes-diagnostic-indicators/

11 Posts

Its only beeping when trying to run a diagnostic test. I cant get onto the laptop what so ever now. Trying to reboot and its just staying on a black screen prompting me to turn it off manually

11 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 15:00

It beeps alot more times then 8 lol. It does not stop beeping until i turn it off manually

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Match the beep codes up with the list in the link above.  They'll tell you what is wrong.

11 Posts

Its hard to explain the beeping over a forum. Soon as i click the diagnostic, next to the word system it says none.. Beeps 4 times, stops beeping for 5 seconds then continues to beep 6 more times then it does exactly the same over and over. This has got my head done in. Can someone give me a rough idea of a price i would be looking at please.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall the memory modules.  Try powering up again,  If you get an infinitely repeating single beep, the mainboard is toast.

11 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 16:00

Thanks for the helpful reply mate. In not really clued up on the sort of stuff you have explained so don't really wana tamper with it to make things worse haha. But if the things you said are wrong with the laptop its pointless getting it fixed as that works out at about £220 so might aswel put some other money towards and just buy a new one which is a shame. The thing which makes me it is the hard drive is because before it died completely i kept getting a warning message saying "windows has discovered a problem with the hard drive, back up all files immediately. I know a guy who is clued up on laptops etc but hes really busy all the time so to ask him to come and have a look to see how much it would cost is a big ask

11 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 16:00

Just done the quick diagnostic test (the one where i was getting the beeping) and its saying FAIL next to hard drive. In quite certain its the hard drive that's broken and not the motherboard.
No Events found!