Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2017 20:00

dell xps 15 monitor flickering after connecting external usb monitor

Hi, all, I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop and recently bought a Asus MB169B external USB monitor.  When I plug the monitor in, the laptop monitor (not the external monitor) flickers about every half second.  If I unplug it, it stops.  I upgraded my video driver to no avail.

Is it simply a power supply issue (the external monitor  does not have a power cord)?  Anything I can do?  It does it even if I have the laptop plugged in and charging.  

*something interesting - I just discovered if I duplicate the display and not extend the flickering goes away...but that kind of defeats the point of a dual monitor for me.

Thanks.

2K Posts

May 31st, 2017 01:00

Hi NATURAL1DAVE,

What is the exact system model? 

Have you connected the external monitor to a dock or hub or directly to the system USB port?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Reinstall the video drivers and chipset drivers for the system from the above link and check.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

9.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 06:00

Hi natural1dave,

Thanks for posting.

Since the Asus monitor is powered entirely by the USB port, it could be possible that the power drain from the monitor is too much for the laptop, therefore the LCD screen is flickering.  I can find no documentation that Dell has tested this monitor for use with the XPS 15 laptop, therefore it would not be supported, perhaps contacting ASUS for support would help resolve your issue. 

No Events found!