Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2016 23:00

electric shock from dell xps 17

after experience an electric shock for a long time, i have had some time and decided to look for it online, surprisingly i noticed that it is a common problem many people have...

the problem is now even more concerning after my 2 sons (1 and 3 years old) starting to use the computer. 

you probably know this problem (i saw you answering to people and this is why i am contacting you...) 

my service tag is ***** and express is ***** (will send them as private message, if asked)

please let me know what you offer me to do in order to fix this problem.

thanks

dolev

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 29th, 2016 04:00

First thing to be sure of is that your electrical outlet is correctly grounded.  You'll want to have it checked by a certified electrician.  If that checks out, replace the AC adapter with a new one, which will almost certainly solve the problem.

2K Posts

April 30th, 2016 12:00

Hi Dolev,

What is the exact system model? Are you using the same Power Adapter that you received with the machine? Is the adapter frayed? Do you get the static shocks with or without the adapter connected? Which part of the system do you get the static shocks from?

As advised by ejn63, please try another wall socket and a different power adapter if possible. 

Please refrain your kids from using the system, until you have managed to isolate the issue.

If the system is under warranty, write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details. If there is no warranty, then we can help with a paid service call if required.

Keep us updated.

No Events found!