Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2013 08:00

grouping drivers

I have Dell inspiron 14r 5420 ( windows 8 ). Since it was giving problem i reformat it and reinstall windows 8. When I was installing the driver i realised the it created a Dell Folder in the C drive and extract the driver in it. Earlier in my computer, I saw a folder name ' Drivers' in my c drive. I opened it and saw 6 folders :

• Audio
  • Video
  • Wireless_switch
  • Network
  • Storage
  • Input
i also want to group my drivers accordingly. How do I do it? Which driver must i extract where ? What is the Storage folder contain? What is the difference between: 
  • Wireless_switch
  • Network
I also saw apps folder outside my c drive. So currently I can extract all the application drivers in it (Quickset/Turbo Boost/....).But how do i extract the rest like how originally it was extracted.
From,
Survesuwaran

807 Posts

June 30th, 2013 04:00

Just manually rename each folder after the driver has been extracted and installed.

Some drivers on Dell's website are named R309026.exe and the extraction & install process names the containing folder in much the same way. This makes it difficult to identify which driver is which.

This is a screenshot of my folder C:\Dell\Drivers. I've renamed some folders to make it easy to identify drivers.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

June 25th, 2013 15:00

Hi Survesuwaran,

You may follow the normal procedure by double clicking on the file to extract it. I am not sure of the difference between a network_switch and storage folder. However, we are not sure if those drivers are specific to Dell hardware.

Request you to use the below link to install the drivers in the right order:

http://dell.to/14qapoZ

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

31 Posts

June 27th, 2013 02:00

I think you should check this in inspiron 14r 5420 or 5421 which has come from the factory about the wireless_switch and network. Just go C:\drivers and you can find these 2 commands there

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

June 27th, 2013 13:00

Hi Survesuwaran,

Apologies for not giving complete information in my previous response. Wireless_switch contains wireless drivers and network contains network drivers.

31 Posts

June 28th, 2013 00:00

When you access that page please search for Windows 8 and click Network and please tell me how to group them

31 Posts

June 28th, 2013 00:00

Please expain to me what is the difference for wireless drivers and network drivers. How do i group them. I downloaded my laptop drivers from : www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14r-5420

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

June 28th, 2013 11:00

Hi Survesuwaran,

The Dell support site contains a tab as network drivers which include both wired drivers and wireless drivers. However, in the link provided by you only wireless drivers are present as in windows 8 environments the system detects wired drivers automatically.

I am unable to completely get your second question what are we trying to do by grouping? Please explain along with a screenshot.

31 Posts

June 30th, 2013 03:00

I am trying to group the drivers so that it would look like normal and organised. If i don't group it all the drivers i install will be extracted to a folder called ' Dell ' in C. But is there any files to group from the 2 network drivers in the drivers website. Please tell me how to group it according to Wireless_switch driver and network driver and which file goes under these 2 folders.

31 Posts

June 30th, 2013 22:00

ok.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

July 1st, 2013 04:00

Hi Survesuwaran,

You can follow the instructions given by Paul to manually re-group the drivers one after the other. You can then differentiate between a network and a wireless switch.

31 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 05:00

sure.

No Events found!