Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2014 14:00

headphone volume way too loud

I have a problem with a precision M6800. The headphone volume is way too loud. I listen at maybe one or 2 ticks on the volume buttons. I need to go into the application specific volume control for fine tuning. Very annoying!!

I tried every setting out there, and the only one that works is that MAXX LEVELER = midnight setting.  But if you remove the headphones, and want to listen via the laptop speakers, than it's not loud enough.. so you have to go to that dell audio control panel again.

The other issue is when you are listening via the speakers at a normal level at 50% volume and you put your headphones on and plug them in.  This is where eardrums are getting physically damaged. There are regulations on headphone output levels, and this goes way above it. Therefore I see this as a health and safety hazard. 

I think I  when I turn the volume 100% up, that the headphones will go up in smoke.  There must be some driver/application bug in that popup window that opens when you plug something in the headphone jack port. Maybe it takes line output levels for headsets or something.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 16th, 2014 05:00

Hello. You could try a different audio driver.

The newer one is Realtek 6.0.1.5988 ( Win 7, 8, 8.1). The notes for this one says this version no longer shows the popup message when headphones are plugged in or removed.

The older one is Realtek 6.0.1.5969 (Win 7 & 8).

Those are the only Realtek drivers that Dell offers for your model. You can also obtain a driver directly from Realtek's web site.

Another driver you can try is the native Windows driver. To install the native driver, remove all Realtek audio drivers. Open the Device Manager and expand the Sounds Controllers section. Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall. Put a check mark in the option to delete the files, and then ok. When you reboot, Windows will either install its own native driver or a Realtek driver if there were any other versions on the hard drive. So go back to the Device Manager and check for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & rebooting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place.

Note that if you want to install a Realtek driver over a newer dated one, you should first completely remove the newer one using the above instructions.

If you don't get the results you would like then consider getting less efficient headphones or a headphone volume attenuator. I having been using this one for a year.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 15th, 2014 04:00

That's a lot to do for a simple problem.

If you mean my suggestion to try the native Windows driver, here is an easier way to do that:

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 07:00

I have the same system (brand new precision M6800) and the same problem. The headphone volume is extremely loud, at least four times as loud as it needs to be. I was lucky I had the volume set to only 50% when I first plugged in my headphones or I'd have lost my hearing. 10-15% of max volume is more than loud enough for everyday use, so something is clearly screwed up here with the audio drivers. I disabled everything I could in the Dell Audio control panel but it had no effect.

February 1st, 2014 14:00

I tried changing the audio drivers, I even re-installed the complete operating system. Nothing works.

At least I know I'm not the only with this problem.

I think it's a driver issue where it sets LineOut volume levels in stead of headphone volume levels.

August 16th, 2014 07:00

Had the same problem also brand new m6800 and got scar(r)ed shitless when plugging in my headphones.
Tried the newer driver version, but that didn't help. So Uninstalled the realtek stuff, and after rebooting it installed windows' HD audio device driver which doesn't really lowers the volume much but it keeps a separate volume meter for the speakers as for the headphones, so it remembers your headphone volume preference. 
Works like a charm.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this, much appreciated.

Cheers

1 Message

August 27th, 2014 04:00

I have the same problem on my Latitude E5420.

I occasionally inadvertently leave the volume up high when using the laptop speakers.  Does my head in.

September 19th, 2014 12:00

I have the same problem with brand new M6800 using Realtek 6.0.1.5988. Unfortunately, I did not know this and plugged my headphones in and put them on and then started the audio player!

5 Posts

December 14th, 2014 11:00

have exactly the same problem with my new laptop. Has anyone found an answer before I damage my ears?

5 Posts

December 14th, 2014 11:00

That's a lot to do for a simple problem. Probably won't even work.

1 Message

May 13th, 2015 12:00

Just registered to reply to this to say thank you for your guide. It resolved my problem on two Dell laptops we have in the house with this problem.

Thanks again!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 13th, 2015 19:00

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Message

June 17th, 2015 01:00

Thanks ! 

Instead of listen music at level 1,2, I am now around 10-15 ....

I still don't understand what they were thinking putting level so high !

June 12th, 2016 23:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I spent a freaking hour at midnight trying to fix this. You are awesome.:emotion-15:

No Events found!