Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2017 05:00

inspiron 15z 5523 not posting sometimes?!

Hello Dell,

my inspiron is not posting. when i turn it on the following happends:

• led of power button will go on
  • led of power indicator will go on
  • leds of the dedicated settings, audio and custom buttons will flash as usual
  • workload indicator led will turn on for a second or 2 and then go off

when power is connected, notting changes. but indicator led for chargeing does go on.

then then it does startup once in 10 min

Hope someone can help

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

October 6th, 2017 16:00

Do you know if the system still has warranty? Also when the system does post does it work fine (until restarted), and was there anything different you had to do to get it to post? 

Best regards,

Brad

4 Posts

October 7th, 2017 15:00

no warrenty anymore.

everything is fine until restarted even the dell diagnostics revealed nothing.

no just keep it restarting.

i left it alone for a while when it was not working, and that when i noticed that the systems starts for 20 sec than shutsdown for 3 sec and starts up again.

best regards Jeroen

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

October 9th, 2017 17:00

Do the Dell Diagnostics complete before restarting? And if you enter the BIOS (F2 at startup), does it restart there as well?

Best,

Brad

4 Posts

October 10th, 2017 04:00

I ran Dell Diagnostics the one time it did start. And it ran without any problems everything "passed".

When it doesnt start: it realy doesnt start not even Bios. Which makes me think its an motherboard/cpu issue.

When i do a CMOS clear i can sometimes get into the Bios once, when i set the time correct and do "save & reset" and it wont start anymore. also tried not changeing anything, and it wont change anything to the problem.

After a few cmos clears even that strategy didnt work anymore

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 10th, 2017 15:00

For this 2012 system, is it cost effective to purchase a used system board and or CPU? Your call. You might consider opening up, replacing the CMOS coin cell battery. You can get them at Walmart, Walgreens, etc.

While you are in there, disassemble the heatsink.

Clean off all of the thermal paste on the heatsink and the CPU. Apply new thermal paste. Blow out all of the dust everywhere. Re-assemble and retest.

4 Posts

October 13th, 2017 07:00

i tried your last sugestion, but it has no effect thus far.

which leads me to believe its either a cpu or a cmos/bios issue, but if you have other sugestions iam happy to try.

what would it cost me for a repair?

No Events found!