Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

4 Posts

June 25th, 2003 16:00

inspiron 2500 SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio Drivers

i have tried 3 times with different tech reps to find the right drivers for my sound card

i have download a few different ones and still cannot seem to get the right drivers

does anyone know where they are?

my sound card used to work before i had to format the hard drive now nothing

can anyone help me?

298 Posts

June 27th, 2003 11:00

robert5491:

What Operating System are you using?

June 27th, 2003 12:00

windows XP

298 Posts

June 27th, 2003 13:00

robert5491:

I would recommend that you visit the Dell Product Readiness Advisor on our website at the following URL:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/advisor/

Click the Operating System that you want to install then enter your service tag or choose your system type at the bottom of the page and press Go.  This will give you an idea of the success you will have in upgrading your system to this Operating System and will give you the drivers you will need for a successful installation.

July 3rd, 2003 21:00

i do not see how upgradeing XP will help me find the drivers

i have tried to locate them both by talking to dell tech and finding them myself

they do not seem to be on the web

i have all the latest updates on my XP that is not the problem

i just cannot find the drivers for my sound card and it is weir dhow the laptop is not even 3 yrs old and no one at dell can find them

1 Message

July 4th, 2003 19:00

Hi robert

We have the same problem, we bought our computer a year ago and now the audio device isn't working.

as soon as you know how to solve the problem please post the solution, if we find it before we will do it.

Dell guys, updating XP won't solve the problem.

PLEASE help us to find a solution

leo123

2 Posts

July 6th, 2003 20:00

I also have this problem.  I just installed Windows XP pro with DirectX 9 on my Inspiron 2500.  The sound won't work and I'm getting the code 10 in device manager you mentioned.  HP/Compaq seems to have newer drivers but they won't work with the Dell.

1 Message

July 7th, 2003 11:00

I have had the same problem, multiple times. Do not use any of the Windows XP driver updates.

To get my laptop working, I used the Dell Sigmatel 9700 AC97 Audio Drivers. You can download them by choosing Windows 2000 as your operating system instead of XP.

Hope this helps.

July 7th, 2003 21:00

I want to say thanks for finding the correct driver for my problem

it is amazing that it takes not a dell tech person but someone who had to fight with the problem

to find the solution

thanks

problem solved

2 Posts

July 8th, 2003 05:00

This is probably the same as what you mentioned, but Dell tech support said to install this driver and it fixed the sound.

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?ReleaseID=R25099

1 Message

July 14th, 2003 07:00

yup, had the same problem like probably the rest in here.

After a windows update, the soundcard stopped working, but thanks to the you guys here and the forum I was able to retrieve the right drivers and everything is  working properly again.

I have Inspiron 2500 w/ Win XP and the following steps worked for me.  Thanks for the advice!

>To get my laptop working, I used the Dell Sigmatel 9700 AC97 Audio Drivers. You can >download them by choosing Windows 2000 as your operating system instead of XP.

1 Message

July 14th, 2003 23:00

I just wanted to add HUGE Thank-yous for solving this problem.  I had talked to a Dell tech in India who wanted me to uninstall and re-install the XP system, thereby losing all of my data.  I was in email contact with two other Dell techs who wanted me to do everything from seating and reseating the drive to changing boot drives, checking BIOS, and countless other tasks.   The most helpful was a Dell tech in India who suggested that I search in Google [which I did and found support for HP machines but not Dell].  So I came to the boards sort of in desperation after more than a week and MANY hours of frustration.

Next time I will come here first!!!!

Again Thank- You!!!!!

1 Message

November 6th, 2003 13:00

hi,

I am another one with no sound. I also talked to a technician in India who sent me a driver update and I unzipped the file and it still doesn't work. i have Windows XP and my sound stopped working a week ago.

Help!!!!!!!

1 Message

January 11th, 2004 02:00

I have encountered the same thing.  I have an Inspiron 2500 running Windows XP, and when I downloaded Windows Update downloads my audio disappeared.  I ran system restore to get back my audio drivers and it worked, but when I needed to do some critical downloads they disappeared again.  I don't have time to find out which download was the cause of the problem.  It could be many, and very time consuming.  I have downloaded another driver and I do get sound but not like what I received with my computer.  I don't have the equilizer and I can't control the volume.  To be truthfull I believe this is all nuts.  For what we pay for these computers we all seem to have a lot of problems. 

I will be trying system restore again to get back my original drivers.  Go back as far as you can until you get your original drivers back.  Turn off your automatic Windows Update and do each download one by one so you can find the download that is screwing with yours and my system.  I am not very computer literate, but what I found is that by using system restore you will get your drivers back.

rudeboy6

Message Edited by rudeboy6 on 01-10-2004 11:11 PM

Message Edited by rudeboy6 on 01-10-2004 11:12 PM

2 Posts

February 1st, 2004 12:00

After installing the Dell Sigmatel 9700 AC97 Audio Drivers (Windows 2000 version), my laptop (Inspiron 2500 running Windows XP Home Edition) still has no sound.

I've read all the troubleshooting screens, but none of the suggestions helped at all.

Does anyone out there have any other suggestions.

Thanks, Matt.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 21:00

The sound card is finally working, here's what it took.

From the device manage, all audio items under "Sound, video and game controllers" were deleted. Windows was then rebooted and it discovered the audio devices and loaded the built in drivers. Windows was then rebooted about 3 times before installing the driver from

https://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?ReleaseID=R25099 . After the driver was installed, Windows had to be rebooted about 3 more times before the sound card became active.

This excessive reboots could have been due to some sort of caching issue. I don't really care why it needed to be rebooted so many times, I'm just happy that the sound card and microphone are working again.

Matt

No Events found!