Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2015 10:00

issues with my recent purchase of Dell Inspiron 15 3000 - 3543

re: Inspiron 15 3000 Series, Windows 7 Professional English 64bit (includes Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit License and Media)

Had it for a few days, main issues:

1. really bad wireless connections (compare to my concern #2 this is still bearable)

2. when I am away from my laptop for maybe 20 mins or longer, it would freeze and no matter what you do, it would not respond. I had to shut it off by long pressing the power button. My laptop battery setting is screen never off on battery. (not power saver so it should not go to sleep, even it went to sleep..it should wake up at some point doesn't it!! =0=).

Called dell tech support, they asked me to run a test and found out hardware were all ok. 

Do you think i should return this? If so, please recommend another model. I need it for basic daily usage, I need to purchase from dell website as I have a $250 e-gift card. so any price as close to $250 would be great.

Thank you !!!

2 Posts

June 4th, 2016 12:00

Hello Sanchari,

I had similar issues with my Inspiron 3543 when i bought.

After diagnosis Dell found the Wifi adapter and mother board had defect. Since the laptop was under warranty, Dell replaced both mother board and wifi adapter.

Now I don't have any issues with this laptop.

Would recommend you to get it diagnosed and fix the defective hardware

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 5th, 2016 08:00

Hi Sanchari :emotion-2:

I like to suggest you run the diagnostic tool on your computer. The tool will search for any possible hardware issue on the system. Please run the extended test as well, and report back any error code.

1. Power off the computer

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously, you should see diagnostic, click on it.

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics

https://youtu.be/WDpvQ3qwy1c

Secondly, If diagnostic doesn't report any error codes then I like to suggest you update the system setup(BIOS). Please watch video below:

https://youtu.be/mWn9YfxtYBo

Question: I'm assuming your are running windows 10, correct ?

2 Posts

October 8th, 2016 05:00

Hello,

Even I too had frustration when I purchase this Laptop Dell 3543.

- System was crashing just within 20 - 30 minutes of video streaming

- Suddenly Wi Fi loosing connection and was crashing when I try to trouble shoot

- Also system was crashing while installing software

System was completely use less and was not at all serving the purpose I had nothing to do except frustration

- was made N number of call to customer center, answer was it was Software issue

Neither Dell taking the responsibility of this issue nor I have any clue What to do with this Laptop.

Even I tried to sell this laptop for 20% of the original cost.

I was simply keep searching similar threads where I can get solution.....

Unfortunately I was getting only problem threads but no feasible solution Untill last week Oct 1st 2016.

Now My system is completely working Fine

What I did ?

- My system was crashing only when Wi Fi is ON but no problem at all when I use with LAN connection.

I found similar thread and there it was suggested to Change Wireless Card.

- I purchased  "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 867 Mbps+ Bluetooth 4.0 7260HMW" for 30$.

Replaced.

Now it is working like a Magic....

You can contact me for any details if you need.

Because I can understand how frustration it could be for a person who purchased this laptop as new and cant be usable at all even from the day first.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 11th, 2015 16:00

I am sorry to read that you are having these problems. Give this a try and see if it makes improves system performance.  Start the system tapping F12 and choose the option to enter the BIOS. Choose the advanced tab and then select Intel Speedstep and choose to disable it. Choose the Exit tab and choose to save changes and exit and allow the system to boot up. 

This isn't a fix, Speed Step is a feature that helps prolong battery life by stepping down the processor.  If the performance of the system improves we know at least what is causing the problem.  Please let me know what you find out.

TB

April 1st, 2015 07:00

Hi Terry

I am also having the same problem. The moment I turned it on first it was slow ( Not like an i7), I thought may be W8.1 problem, so I installed windows 7. But the issue is same.

It freezes, only option is hard reboot.

Will try ur steps and update.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 1st, 2015 08:00

I am curious if turning off speed step will improve system performance.  Speed Step is a power saving feature that is supposed to reduce power usage while under battery, not all of the time.

I am also curious if you noticed similar problems while installing Windows 7.  If there is a hardware defect then problems may show while reinstalling.  After reinstalling Windows 7 did you add any additional software or is the notebook working on a clean build?

Thank you for posting.

TB

April 1st, 2015 23:00

Indeed I was surprised too. Installed W7 and for two days it would freeze. Then reformated to W7and disable speedstep.

It work best now. Will instal some more applications and check further. I guess Speedstep is the  thing which is cauising problem.

Great work Terry.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 07:00

Please keep me up to date,  keeping speed step off may reduce battery life, but if it keeps the system from locking up you may decide to keep it disabled.  Let me know if the lock ups continue even with speed step disabled.

TB

11 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 22:00

Terry, I have the same laptop (3543 purchased 30 March) and I am experiencing similar problems.

WiFi coverage around my home in inferior to my previous Toshiba when I previously had no dead spots but that is manageable now that I know.  My main concern is waking after sleep, I am using an external key board and HDMI monitor. Very frequently, but not always, the computer freezes after waking and I have to power off by holding the power button.

It appears that this could be an inherent fault with this model laptop.  Appreciate your advice.

Thanks, John

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 4th, 2015 10:00

A system failing to resume from sleep is a fairly common problem and unfortunately can be caused by any number of issues, and unlikely to be related to speedstep. Other than the poor performance issues already mentioned, this doesn't sound like an issue specific to the 3543.

While the call is out for the system to go to sleep all working processes are supposed to be stopped before the system is fully "asleep"  All it can take for one process to be running and not shut down correctly to cause the system not to recover from sleep.

Since it sounds like this is random that can make it even more difficult to track down the cause.  One thing to consider is what the system may have been doing prior to being placed to sleep.  If a specific program or device was being used just prior to the system going to sleep every time that you noticed that the system wont wake, there is a good chance that program is the problem.  Can you think of any common denominator, any specific program that you had running just prior to the system freezing?

When the problem happens, and you are forced to restart the computer are they any error messages and if so what are they?  If you haven't already I suggest running diagnostics they can possibly detect failing hardware.

Please let me know if you are getting error messages, and if there was any failures while running diagnostics.

TB

11 Posts

May 4th, 2015 15:00

Thank you Terry for your prompt response.  Nothing detected when I ran diagnostics and I did install the recommended updates.  When the computer freezes the desktop appears and then nothing.  I power down by holding the power button and on re-boot there are no error messages just the black screen "start windows in normal mode".  I have had many laptops in the past but this is the first Dell and the first time that I have experienced any problem of this nature.

Like the relative inferior WiFi coverage (2 rooms away and the signal is lost) I guess I will just have to live with the issues.  Next time I will be very hesitant in purchasing another Dell.

Best wishes, John

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 4th, 2015 17:00

With no error messages and diagnostics passing it is unlikely failing hardware that is causing the system not to resume from sleep mode.  Have you ever had any problems shutting the system down, does it hang during the shutdown period or fail to start up again after shutting down?  Did disabling Speedstep like suggested earlier make any difference at all?  Other than failing to wake from resume have you noticed hang?

If you are familiar with msconfig and clean boot troubleshooting and wish to continue troubleshooting you can disable startup items and then test the system by placing it in sleep and see if it hangs. If the system fails to hang at start up after a few attempts then you know it isn't Windows or the notebook itself causing the problem.

TB

8 Posts

May 5th, 2015 00:00

We have the same experience with 2 laptops INSPIRON 3543 i7-5500u  8 GB RAM.

Both systems are still working extremely slow like CELERON based , and hanging from time to time.

Could anyone suggest a solution, because we made a lot of clean installations WIn 8 OR Win 7 pro 64 bit and system behaviour is always same. Extremely slow and does not respond some times.

Is the BIOS settings the problem on INTEL Speedstep ?

Or this system is just a really terrible untested cheap solution from Dell ?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 5th, 2015 11:00

If you haven't already I do suggest testing with SpeedStep disabled.  Since you have two systems if possible try disabling SpeedStep only on one system and leave the other with SpeedStep enabled and there compare performance on both machines.

To disable SpeedStep, start the system tapping F12 and choose the option to enter the BIOS. Choose the advanced tab and then select Intel Speedstep and choose to disable it. Choose the Exit tab and choose to save changes and exit and allow the system to boot up.

I also suggest running diagnostics on the two systems and see if anything comes up.

I haven't seen a lot of reports about poor Windows performance on this model, but I don't like that there are four of you posting similar symptoms. I will specifically like to know if SpeedStep is making a difference or not. 

TB

8 Posts

May 6th, 2015 00:00

Dear Terry

are you sure problem for 3543 i7 poor performance is the BIOS Intel Speedstep settings ?

Have you considered that maybe this is a hardware problem and possibly ram memory or board do not cooperate so perfectly ?

I've seen and other posts - reviews  on AMAZON from people who bought recently this brand new 3543 series and they are complaining about poor performance too.

Thanks

No Events found!