Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2017 06:00

laptop

Very Good Evening Sir. 

My issue is  I have an issue on dell inspiron I5 1464. Problem is 2 days back it works very nice. and i formatted the computer and installed windows 10. it worked for 2days very nice. after 2 days i switched on the laptop but its not showing starting screen and its giving 6 short beeps, and after 6 beeps again with in 3 seconds  5 short beeps coming with no display,after i switch on the laptop. i have a problem that my laptop will not work on the  battery even for 2 minuets also. its not holding the power. Please Please suggest me what i have to do now sir.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

October 4th, 2017 14:00

Beeps                            Description                           Possible Cause

4                   Memory read / write failure                  Memory failure
                         5              Real Time Clock (RTC) power fail        CMOS battery failure
                         6                       Video BIOS test failure              Video subsystem failure

It sounds like from your description of 5 and 6 beeps (noted above for this system) that it could either be the motherboard/video (on the mobo) or it could just be the CMOS battery, I think it is worth a shot to replace the CMOS coin cell battery and the Service Manual can be found at this link on how to do this.

Another option is to remove the battery and AC adapter, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds or so, then release the button and put the battery/adapter back in, and try to power it on. On a side note make sure to note if any of the beep codes change.

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!