Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 25th, 2010 10:00

need to format/reinstall system on Dell Inspiron 1521

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop in Dec 2007, and it is now having some boot issues, unable to boot into Windows or even go into Safe Mode, and it can't go into the Last Known Good config either.

So, I would like to format the C drive (i had partitioned out a D drive for all my data), and I plan to reinstall Windows and all my apps again.

But I can't find any recovery CD for this system, and Dell.com support won't support a machine that's out of warranty.

So... what are my options? Do I have to purchase a brand new Vista CD? Can it be the upgrade version? Can I just buy XP Pro instead and put it on the laptop, if I'm going to have to replace the OS anyway?

Thanks in advance!

14.4K Posts

February 25th, 2010 10:00

Go HERE to request a set of disks for your system.
Or buy a copy of XP if you can find all the necessary drivers for your system

2 Posts

February 25th, 2010 11:00

thanks, i just submitted my request... i did notice that the website mentions Windows7 customers, but there's no mention of older XP/Vista customers getting free recovery disc replacements.

It specifically says that Windows7 customers will get a replacement disc to help restore all the program... I wonder if this means that Vista customers will be left out entirely, or maybe it means that I can still get the OS but none of the programs?

Please let me know if you know which is correct.

Thanks!

1 Message

March 5th, 2012 20:00

I bought a dell laptop inspiron 1521. but i haven't a recovery CD. Now my lap doesn't allow boot and it asks me to type a system password

what should I do for that?

Thanks in advance

Mahesh

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

March 6th, 2012 06:00

Hi maheshmavinda,

Welcome to the Community.

If you are referring to the HDD or the BIOS password,please contact your regional support for help.

Thank you

Roshan.

1 Message

March 13th, 2014 07:00

Don't contact dell support, The tech guy will give you a nasty attitude about not making a recovery disk from the hard drive and then will try to charge you 59 dollars Canadian. Download the disks using torrent. In the future avoid dell
No Events found!