Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2013 16:00

password required after system recovery

I was helping a friend format his dell inspiron N5050, first we created recovery disks, I tried to do a system recovery first off the partition, after which I was recieveing a BSOD, so I used the recovery disk we created to do the system recovery again this time there was no BSOD however after it said it was setting up windows for first use, it brought me to a log in screen with no user name, asking for a user name and password. It will not accept any of my friends old user names and passwords, I am unable to log into the administrator, and I am unable to log into safe mode cause it needs to set up windows 7 for the first use. How can we log into windows? 

3.1K Posts

January 4th, 2013 22:00

Hi Peace4me88,

I would recommend you to run the diagnostics on the computer to check the hardware functionality.

To run ‘Dell Diagnostics’

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, press F12 on the Dell logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu
  • Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

You can try to perform PC restore, which means taking the computer to factory defaults. Here is the link http://dell.to/VpM12n 
Note: We would advise you to take a complete backup of your data (pictures, music, videos, and documents) as this step leads to complete data loss. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

If PC restore does not work, then you can perform a clean install of the operating system with the recovery disks. You can follow the steps mentioned in this link http://dell.to/Qe7jyP  . Please create a new user name and a password if required.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions. 

4 Posts

January 5th, 2013 09:00

please remember it is asking for a password after I finished doing a factory restore using the recovery disks, it will not allow me to setup windows for the first use and give any information without this user name and password

3.1K Posts

January 8th, 2013 01:00

Hi Peace4me88,

Thank you for the response. If system recovery was performed, it should not ask for an old user name and password. Instead, it should ask to create a new user name and password. Since, there was BSOD, I would recommend you to run the diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. If the diagnostics shows no errors, then please perform a manual installation of the Operating system using the recovery disks. You can follow the steps mentioned in this link http://dell.to/Qe7jyP

Note: We would advise you to take a complete backup of your data (pictures, music, videos, and documents) as this step leads to complete data loss. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2013 08:00

you guys crack me up how you repeat the same stuff without really listening. I can not do a backup cause it is already wiped out using the recovery disk. I already used recovery disk. but I did do the diagnostics and there was no problems.

3.1K Posts

January 9th, 2013 07:00

Hi Peace4me88,

I understand it could be upsetting. If you are unable to load the Operating system using the recovery disks, there is a possibility that the image might have been corrupted. You would need the Dell OEM disk to install the operating system.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

5 Posts

February 12th, 2013 21:00

Hello, Mr. Appu S. I have the same problem as stated in my post at en.community.dell.com/.../20299072.aspx. If you have resolved this problem for the poster, please see my post. I would approeciate any help you can provide. Thanks. MB

3.1K Posts

February 13th, 2013 09:00

Hi MB,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that Dell-Allan D is assisting you on your thread. Please follow the troubleshooting steps as suggested by Dell-Allan D.

4 Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

you guys took too long so i called technical support and got orginial recovery disks, the recovery partition and the copy of disks that I had made we messed up

No Events found!