Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2017 15:00

plugged in, not charging depending on location

Hi

I have an inspiron ultrabook. When using it at home, i get a message on startup saying that the AC adapter is not recognised. This results in the "plugged in not charging". When using it at work, i have no issues.

The battery has passed a dell diagnostic. All I can think of is that the hardware or drivers don't like my home power supply.

is there a fix for this?

thanks

John

2K Posts

May 28th, 2017 08:00

Hi John,

What is the exact system model? What is the exact part# and the wattage of the adapter you are using at home and at work for the system?

If the system works fine at work, I presume the adapter at work is designed to work with your machine and the one at home might not be compatible with your system model and hence the issue.

If both the adapters at home and work have the same wattage and part#, then the adapter at home might be frayed?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for your quick response Rishi.

It was the same adapter at home and at work. note that the problem was not intermittent at home -

it was consistently not working. I received some advice that probably meant it was an adapter issue and i bought a new one. this appears to have fixed the problem.

I hope this can provide some useful advice for others.

John

2K Posts

May 31st, 2017 02:00

Hi John,

Thank you for the update.

Glad to hear the replacement adapter resolve the issue.

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

No Events found!