Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2011 23:00

reading discs

I don't know if I'm on the right forum.  Please excuse my lack of proper use of technical terminology.  I'm an not very technical at all, and need some help. 

I have a 4 year old laptop, which I understand is considered to be very old these days.  In the past, I could insert discs with data, pictures, etc and view them.  Now, when I insert a disc, it doesn't appear that the laptop recognizes that anything is there.  I can't find where the disc is to open it.

I'm hoping that this is a simple correction.  Perhaps I've disabled something that allows it to read a disc? 

Any idea?  Or, should I be on another forum?

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 02:00

go to device manager and see if the device is working properly

1. click on start

2. right click on COMPUTER

3. CLICK on properties

4. click on device manager.

5. click the x beside dvd, cdrom devices

6. right click on the dvd drive

see if is says its working properly, if not, you need to replace it

also , when you get to the device manager, if there is a yellow or red mark beside dvd/cdrom drive, you have a problem

3.8K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 07:00

Hi LP User,

Welcome to the Community. If the device is working properly in the Device manager, after you followed the steps given by ronss, use the below link to run a microsoft fix to fix unable to read discs. Click on Run Now and follow the onscreen instructions.

support.microsoft.com/.../en-us

Hope this helps.

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 02:00

sorry, its not a x beside the dvd /cdrom device, its a triangle,,,also, in step 6, after right clicking on dvd drive, click properties, and then you can see if device is workng properly

3 Posts

Thank you!  This is very helpful!!!  I  was able to follow your instructions and I can clearly see that there is a problem.  I have the yellow triangle.  At least now I know where to focus my attention.

Thank you!

3 Posts

Thank you!  I followed the instructions from ronss and found that I do have an issue.  I have the yellow triangle next to the drive.  So - I'll run this link you provided.  Maybe I'll get this fixed!  Thank you very much!

No Events found!