Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2015 14:00

[solved] Laptop HDMI to *TV* not working

Update:

I was about to post regarding have problems connecting my new Dell Laptop to my TV but I've managed to solve the issue by using a different HDMI cable!

Why the original HDMI cable works with my old laptop but not the new one and why Dell support didn't suggest this as a fix I have no idea, nevermind!
I'll leave my original post below in case anyone has the same problems and finds this helpful!

The situation:

I just bought a new Dell Laptop (Inspiron 15" 7548 / Windows 8) to replace my ~5 year old Dell Inspiron (Windows 7).

The problem:

Trying to connect the new laptop to the TV (Panasonic) via HDMI doesn't work. The old laptop, on the other hand, detects the TV as soon as I plug in the HDMI cable and automatically mirrors the display.

Troubleshooting:

• Initially, the new laptop doesn't even recognise the TV has been plugged in. I can get it to correctly recognise (in Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution) that a Panasonic TV is connected by disabling & re-enabling the Intel HD 5500 graphics driver in `device manager`.
    Unfortunately this doesn't help, the TV screen still remains black.
  • I have tried updating all the drivers (AMD/Intel) via the preinstalled Dell Update Manager software, the Dell website, Windows Update & Device Manager updates.
    They all tell me everything is up to date.
  • I tried changing the mode from mirror to extend.
  • I tried changing the resolution (everything in the list from 1920x1080 - 1280x720 all at 50Hz).
  • Connecting the new laptop to a monitor via HDMI does work!

I emailed Dell Support for help but their response was "Update the drivers? That didn't work? Then it must be incompatible", which wasn't exactly helpful!

1 Message

July 16th, 2015 15:00

+1. i have the same problem with inspiron 13, 7000 series and my old philips tv. 

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 21:00

Same here.

DELL Inspiron 17R with Philips 40PFL5606 TV.

On an earlier search (2 months ago) I found there is a bug in the Dell HDMI on some models and also in the HDMI on some TV models. 

HDMI standard has no fixed frequency. And they do not support any of each others HDMI frequencies.

Updating the drivers would help if DELL would fix the drivers. But they didn't do and they know it. You can try to contact support again to get a straight answer on supported tv models for the combination of your laptop model and video card.

There is an walk-through on the i-net to change the configuration of the HDMI output. I tried and failed. But I will try again before replacing the laptop. 

No Events found!