Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2015 21:00

xps 1645 display dead on startup

Hi all,

Having some drams with my xps studio 1645. Was working fine last night but when i went to start it this morning its not cooperating.

The laptop itself starts and the keyboard starts up and after a period of time you can hear the windows startup "song" but the display stays black. When i hold in the power button and the d key it runs through the various coloured screens and makes beeping noises in a 2-3-4-3 beep pattern but the screen then reverts to black and the laptop stays powered on. I've checked the components and given them a blow out but it hasn't made any difference.

Any ideas?

April 14th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

We would like to understand this better. 

Please release static power and check if the system works. Follow the steps below to release static power.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess static power. In case the problem persists, Please pay close attention to the number of beeps. There is a big difference between a “beep-beep-beep” beep code and a “”beep-beep” beep code. Let us know how many times the system beeps.

Let us know about the progress.

3 Posts

April 14th, 2015 21:00

I have released the static power several times to no effect, the same problem occurs with six consistent beeps which i believe implies that ether the motherboard or video card has failed.

3 Posts

April 15th, 2015 05:00

Yep and that was what i was afraid of, as the machine is 5 years old i'm not sure it's worth replacing the parts and may just get a whole new laptop

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2015 05:00

It sounds like the video chip has failed - though since it's part of the mainboard, that will need to be replaced to solve the problem.

No Events found!