Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2009 12:00

xps m1210 black screen

i have a xps m1210 laptop that i have had for a few years and now when i turn it on, the screen flashes for a sec, then goes black. If I hold a flashlight to it, i can see the screen and its works just fine on an external monitor. is this a hardware problem or a software problem. please help, i am very frustrated, thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2009 12:00

Either the backlight or the backlight power supply (inverter) is faulty.  Contact a shop that can do LCD repairs - either can be repaired for $100US or so.

1 Message

June 10th, 2009 10:00

My screen goes black while running on battery power.  Nothing happens if I plug in an external monitor.  The only way to get the computer back is to close the lid, let it go to sleep, then wake it back up.  XPS tech support has been useless.  They told me to change my power setting to essentially 100% while on battery.  I gave this a try for a week and nothing changed, my screen still shut off. 

I have not tried the flashlight to see if I could see the info or not.  I will try that next time.  I am still under warrenty, what if anything could I say to the tech support rep to fix this apparent hardware issue?

July 31st, 2009 08:00

I seem to have a simular but slightly different issue -- I also have a black screen at bootup and if I plug in an external monitor I can see a few things:

* In BIOS information the "default panel resolution is 0 by 0"

* As Windows loads it appears as if the NVidia driver isn't loaded but the default driver -

* The NVidia device appears to have been stopped with an error 43?

Note when booting i never see ANYTHING -- no DELL logo, options -- nothing. However I can see that on the external monitor (when connected) When running Diagonstics (ROM) everything in Video Checks out (as long as I answer "Y" to the bars on the external display)

This all seemed to occur after a Windows Bluescreen... (however I assume potential hardware failure could cause a bluescreen -- of course then an instant black screen)

3 Posts

November 14th, 2009 23:00

i have a xps m1210 laptop that i have had for a few years and now when i turn it on, the screen flashes for a sec, then goes black. If I hold a flashlight to it, i can see the screen and its works just fine on an external monitor. is this a hardware problem or a software problem. please help, i am very frustrated, thank you.

I have exactly the same problem. The screen flashes for a few seconds, then goes black and ut works fine with an external monitor. Did you find out what is the problem and how to fix it?

Does anyone have any idea?

1 Message

January 9th, 2010 19:00

I have a xps m1210, I just replaced the lcd screen and the computer will boot but the screen is dim,  I can still see everything, but it will not brighten completely.  When I try to use fn key up arrow the screen will dim then brighten then dim. I checked the brightness in the bios and it does the same thing.  This does the same thing on just battery power and ac adapter.  The screen will not get any brighter.  I then replaced the lcd cable and still no luck.  I was going to replace inverter, but i've read that if you can see the screen then it is not the inverter. 

Does anyone have any idea what it could be, would it be the inverter or can it be the motherboard?  It's just weird because I can see the screen it is just one notch away from the brightness I need.  Ive seen where the screens have been black and I use a flash light to see the screen and it's the backlight, but in my case it is just a little dim and will not brighten.

Any help would be great, Thank You

tarzoon1018

1 Message

March 1st, 2010 07:00

I have had an M1210 for about 3 years and my problem is on battery power the screen works fine with the windows bar at the bottom changing to an expanded mode which I use the mouse to diminish the bar to a single line. But the LCD is clear and perfect. On the contrary if I plug in the power the screen goes black immediately but I still can see a faint image. The external monitor on the other hand works fine both ways. Something else that I have noticed is that when I open Excel attachments in Outlook, Excel opens but the file does not. I do not know if this is related.

Any suggestions??

1 Message

March 7th, 2010 16:00

I have a xps m1210, I just replaced the lcd screen and the computer will boot but the screen is dim,  I can still see everything, but it will not brighten completely.  When I try to use fn key up arrow the screen will dim then brighten then dim. I checked the brightness in the bios and it does the same thing.  This does the same thing on just battery power and ac adapter.  The screen will not get any brighter.  I then replaced the lcd cable and still no luck.  I was going to replace inverter, but i've read that if you can see the screen then it is not the inverter. 

Does anyone have any idea what it could be, would it be the inverter or can it be the motherboard?  It's just weird because I can see the screen it is just one notch away from the brightness I need.  Ive seen where the screens have been black and I use a flash light to see the screen and it's the backlight, but in my case it is just a little dim and will not brighten.

Any help would be great, Thank You

tarzoon1018

I think its your LCD CCFL ( LCD Backlight ), this thing makes your LCD dim

1 Message

March 15th, 2011 09:00

Hey. I just wanted to verify with anyone who has ever had problems with the same computer.  Mine started getting vertical lines and eventually cut off.  The computer would boot normally as I could hear it running. I could plug an external monitor and it worked fine as well.  . M1210 blank/black screen. I changed the inverter, no luck.  So while i thought the LCD would change it, I decided to upgrade to the 700m/710m LCD. Fit was fine. Still had blank screen after change of inverter and the LCD. Heard a crazy story on the forums, yeah yeah i know..but I took EVERYTHING that can come off the motherboard that can come off, turned the oven onto 350 degrees. Set it on some aluminum on the corners. Baked it for 4.5 minutes, let it cool, reinstalled. I cannot believe it. IT WORKS. I was so sceptic and though what the hell..its not working. Friend of mine said when they manufacture electronics, this is what they actually do anyways. SO PUTTING MOTHERBOARD IN THE OVEN FIXED MY M1210 BLACK BLANK SCREEN! I was scared of putting it in for 6 minutes like someone else did thinking it would melt. It was hot but not near close to melting. Email me if you are scared i’ll throw in some advice. So far its working great.  I have the Nvidia GPU chipset as well..

No Events found!