Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2009 17:00

DELL Studio XPS 16 1645 i7 power problem

Update 4 (2/13/2010):

Bios A07 shows a significant improvement with the 130w charger.

There is still throttling that need to be analyzed, most likely this throttling is a machine limitation.

For now, the system is able to run near the advertised specs.

Please post your experience with the updated BIOS.

Update 3:

Dell is finally listening, they are replacing the 90 watt charger with a 130 watt slim charger with a promise of a BIOS fix version A07 that is promised to fix the problem.

Will update upon the testing of the BIOS.

here is how to place a replacement request in USA and Canada

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19320784.aspx

Update 2

DELL thinks a BIOS release will fix the problem and is working on it now.

ALL the people who performed all kind of testing in NBR assures the engineers at DELL that a BIOS fix will not fix the problem completely without the use of a charger of higher power. Using Throttlestop the system was able to consume 110-120 watts under load.

Some people will accept a BIOS that throttle up to the maximum power of the charger used so for a 90 watts charger the system throttles at 90 watts, for a 130 watts, it throttles at 130 watts.

Some people are planning a class action browse the thread for more information.

Update

Here is our group findings so far

1. The power conservative BIOS forces the system to throttle to 7x when the power consumption is around 90 watts due to one or more of the following reasons:

a. Limitation of the power supply capability

b. Limitation of the motherboard to accept more than 90 watts (This reason is from DELL, but we suspect it)

c. To increase the battery life

d. To limit heat generation

obviously DELL should be blamed for poor design if it is a, b, or d.

2. Thanks to unclewebb there is a software now to unlock the throttle, this one will almost certainly put the 90 watt charger to rest or fire.

3. Due to the power limitation, it looks like the people with the RGBLED are most affected by the problem due to the added power consumption.

4. DELL is aware of the problem, but according to them it only affects a small percentage of people that put the system on full performance.

5. DELL keeps saying that the 130 watts adapter is not the solution of the problem, which is quite true as it needs both an adapter and BIOS update.

6. After a long wait, DELL acknowledged that there is a problem and that they will address it soon without announcing a time frame.

7. We as a group lack the trust in DELL fixing the problem to our satisfaction.

I think most of our group will agree on the above.

With all the above said, i am quite happy that mine was returned back to DELL after a frustrating experience with DELL level 1, 2, and 3 technical support. This doesn't represent the other members as most of them are happy with their notebook but expect action from DELL.

------------------------------------------------------

We are among the first to receive our DELL studio XPS 16 1645 with i7. We have some benchmark results that strongly suggest that the equipped 90W charger is not providing enough power to the system. To summarize, the performance of the system is correlated to the brightness of the monitor which suggests that the power provided is not enough so when the monitor is dimmed it allows more power to be consumed by the system. Here is some findings:

Here is the findings, if you stress the laptop using 3Dmark06 the performance is correlated to the brightness of the screen, here is the findings
Full brightness: 5003 3DMark '06
SM2.0: 1664
SM3.0: 2189
CPU: 2568

Lowest brightness: 5405 3DMark '06
SM2.0:1834
SM3.0: 2326
CPU: 2785

To further see the effect of the power consumption, i ran Crysis benchmark for two cases with one difference, the power source battery and minimum brightness vs charger and maximum brightness. I used the exact same settings for power plan (High performance and optimize performance for powerplay)

On Charger, Battery full, maximum brightness

Run #1- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Low ~~ Last Average FPS: 68.75

Run #2- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Medium ~~ Last Average FPS: 30.24

Run #3- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 20.38

On Battery, minimum brightness

Run #1- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Low ~~ Last Average FPS: 80.31

Run #2- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Medium ~~ Last Average FPS: 50.93

Run #3- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 29.50

To further test the claim that the power is not enough, an external monitor is connected and to our surprise the system showed its muscles with best performance.

The correlation to the between the brightness and performance, and the heat generated from the charger strongly suggested that the charger is not providing enough power under full load.

It will be a shame if the power adapter is not adequate specially after the whole mess of delaying orders.

[Poll]

1.8K Posts

January 29th, 2010 14:00

Does the comment on the 130w adaptor mean that *only* a BIOS update would be needed in order to use this adaptor safely and long-term?

No.   I do not know that only a BIOS update is all that is required.   I know that it *is* required to correctly utilize one.

1 Message

January 29th, 2010 20:00

Well, this issue is certainly affecting the outlet store. There are currently 9 pages of 1645's for sale. I guess we will soon start seeing them pop up on ebay for the unsuspecting. Wonder how this has affected overall sales. I would guess that they are getting a ridiculously high return rate...and justly so.

Sure don't feel as good about my 1640 any more. Have been looking around at other systems to replace it but none from Dell. I have probably spent 10K for company and personal Dell systems over the last 2 years. Oh well no more.

14 Posts

January 29th, 2010 22:00

Dell make these laptops with the assumption that real *general* use of the machine will not be as heavy and intense. Throttling is not something *new* that has been mention as a design feature rather than a flaw of design (Refer http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/12/02/dell-on-laptops-and-throttling.aspx).

Hi everyone. Thank you Todd for the update on the current situation.

RaymondKL and anyone who has been told that the machine is the general use only... do you have evidence of this in writing from Dell?

Can you post it please?

Just curious because I would consider Gaming to be a general use of a machine which is advertised as follows on the dell.com.au website!

LINK TO FULL SIZE SCREENSHOT 1

LINK TO FULL SIZE SCREENSHOT 2

January 30th, 2010 07:00

I have a Dell XPS M170, which when it came out, was considered a 'top spec' machine, with the latest Nvidia Go 6800 Ultra graphics card. Ahhh, good times!

When it was being thrashed during games, the fans would come on so loud you could hear them over the game effects, and the 130W adapter used to get sooo hot you could smell the plastic cooking. This was the unavoidable trade off for using components that drew large amounts of power and got very hot in the process. Most XPS users knew and accepted this.

My poor (overworked) graphics card died recently so I was looking for a replacement machine. I fancied staying with an XPS, because my old one was so good. The i7 XPS Studio 16 was one of the highest spec machines in my budget, but I couldn't quite believe it only came with a 90W adapter. I didn't think Technology had moved on to the extent where top spec components no longer drew large amounts of power. All of the other manufacturers machines that were of similar spec, had 120W+ adapters. I remember my old XPS would refuse to boot up if you had an adapter of less than 130W connected.

Now I've read the posts on this, and linked forums, and can't quite understand what Dell are up to. The i7 XPS Studio 16 is a top spec machine using components that can draw large amounts of power and get hot in the process, just like the old XPS's. Dell's history with the XPS machines must have given them an idea  of what to expect when these new machines were thrashed? (I hope the old XPS staff haven't gone over to the Alienware side of the business, taking their smarts with them).

I see we are waiting for a BIOS update. I would be amazed if that alone was sufficient to eradicate the throttling issues. It appears the installed components (CPU, GPU and RGBLED) want to draw more current when performing at optimum performance (thrashed), than the standard 90W adapter can provide. This will still be the case (on a 90W adapter) whatever routines the BIOS uses to manage and distribute the available current. There will inevitably be performance compromises if the components are not able to draw the current they need.

I also have concerns that the throttling issues are not present when running on battery. Whilst the way batteries deliver their power is fundamentally different to the way AC adaptors provide it, there must be a danger that If these machines regularly demand current from the batteries well above their design spec, we could see the failure rate for batteries start to rise. In the light of the throttling issues on AC power, are we confident Dell would have given appropriate specs to their battery manufacturers? Time will tell.

Do I think Dell will fix it? They must appreciate they will further alienate many of their loyal customers and put off a lot of new ones if they don't. That could prove to be a costly mistake. Personally, I think Dell should bite the bullet, issue everyone affected with a 130W (at least) adapter and release a new BIOS ASAP.

Would I buy one? Well bit of a gamble I know, but I've got one on order... but then, I've already got a 130W adapter and I'm familiar with unclewebb's fine work. It is after all, a lovely bit of kit, hopefully only temporarily blighted by poor power management. (Mind you, the strong customer protection legislation we have in the UK, that means if the machine 'does not perform as advertised' it can be returned for a full refund, did play a part in deciding to go for it).

When Dell sort this out, this will be a storming machine for the price we paid.

Best of luck!

38 Posts

January 30th, 2010 10:00

GADiLAREDO:The performance throttling scheme being used is not CPU heat related.  It is designed to prevent the power adapter from delivering more than 90 watts to prevent the 90 watt adapter from running beyond its specification.  Even if you plug in a 130 watt adapter, the bios is still designed to limit its power output to 90 watts maximum.

The instant you switch to battery power, there's no longer any need to protect the power adapter since it is no longer plugged in.  This immediately disables the above throttling limits so the CPU and GPU can run much closer to their designed performance abilities. The result on battery power is next to no throttling and your computer will be able to perform at very close to its full rated speed.

That helps confirm that the circuits and wires on this motherboard are designed and quite capable of handling more than a 90 watt adapter can provide. If these motherboards could not handle more than 90 watts, they would fail when running on battery power.  It doesn't make any sense that Dell would design a computer to fail when not plugged in.

8 Posts

January 30th, 2010 12:00

@ DELL-Todd S

I'm having throttling issues also, please see this post : http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19306277/19635574.aspx#19635574

Will the Bios update address the throttling issues in the XPS 1640 as well?

1.8K Posts

January 30th, 2010 14:00

Will the Bios update address the throttling issues in the XPS 1640 as well?

I do not know.  If they determine that the XPS 1640 is experiencing the same problem, and the BIOS update they design will relieve the problem, then my best guess is that it will also be developed into a BIOS update for that model.   When, I couldn't answer.

1.8K Posts

January 30th, 2010 14:00

Todd,

It's good to hear from Dell. I think you guys ought to strongly consider reaching out to some folks to see if they'd be willing to beta test the new BIOS.

From what I understand we did that.  And it got leaked.   So no idea if we'll do it again.

13 Posts

January 30th, 2010 16:00

Uncleweb,

Thanks for your helpful posts. If I understand your last post correctly, when I have to do something  that is processor and video card intensive, like video editing, I would get much better performance if I unplug my 1645 and run on battery power only because I will get the full performance of the chip. Also, It would be better to run on external monitors instead of the lap top screen because this will use less power so the battery will last longer. Is that correct? 

Thanks in advance for your response!

January 31st, 2010 08:00

(Re a BIOS beta test)

From what I understand we did that.  And it got leaked.   So no idea if we'll do it again.

Bummer, and I quite understand.

But if that was the source of the X29 and A05 BIOSes floating around, should we take comfort from the fact that you are still experimenting, or take alarm from how distant they were from anything we would accept as an adequate solution?

1.8K Posts

January 31st, 2010 09:00

(Re a BIOS beta test)

[quote user="DELL-Todd S"]

Bummer, and I quite understand.

But if that was the source of the X29 and A05 BIOSes floating around, should we take comfort from the fact that you are still experimenting, or take alarm from how distant they were from anything we would accept as an adequate solution?

[/quote]

If it were that far from adequate it would help to explain why its taking a bit longer this time to come up with the next attempt at resolving the issue.

25 Posts

January 31st, 2010 17:00

Has anyone else been having screen flickering problems?  I noticed it most when reading webpage and such, like this one.  Every few seconds the screen flickers a little bit...another annoyance.

So far I've got:

1. Random freezing,

2. Poor performance when it counts

3. Flickering screen

4, untouchably hot power supply.

Best $3000 I ever spent.

19 Posts

February 1st, 2010 02:00

Has anyone else been having screen flickering problems?  I noticed it most when reading webpage and such, like this one.  Every few seconds the screen flickers a little bit...another annoyance.

So far I've got:

1. Random freezing,

3. Flickering screen

Best $3000 I ever spent.

Yes, I experience te very same problem with the display. It is quite annoying and soon my eyes will start bleeding :(. No solution found yet. Even no statement from Dell regarding this issue, no matter my numerous posts.

Nikolay

25 Posts

February 1st, 2010 02:00

[quote user="lammmy"]

So far I've got:

1. Random freezing,

3. Flickering screen

Best $3000 I ever spent.

Yes, I experience te very same problem with the display. It is quite annoying and soon my eyes will start bleeding :(. No solution found yet. Even no statement from Dell regarding this issue, no matter my numerous posts.

Nikolay

[/quote]

Maybe it's only your eyes guys. just kiddin. Are you using RGBLED?

19 Posts

February 1st, 2010 03:00

Yeah, it is RGBLED. I thought its just me seeing this :), but afterwards I found out quite many people complaining about the same issue.

Nikolay

No Events found!