Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2009 11:00

Data transfer from a primary hard drive to another.

I am new to this, but I am don't know how to transfer data from one hard drive to another instead of backing it up.  My laptop is setup with 2 hard drives, and my main hard drive is almost out of space.  I want to transfer data so that I can go and retrieve it from the other hard drive.  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If it's just data, simply copy the files using Windows Explorer.

If you want to clone to a larger drive, you will need to provide more information - what model system, and what operating system?

6.4K Posts

There are other ways, but my favorite is simply to use Windows Explorer to drag the files from one disk to the other.  If you drag an entire directory, every file in it will be saved to the second disk.  Note that the default is to copy the files to the second drive when you do this which means it may be necessary to delete the folders on the original disk when you are done in order to free the space.  I see this as an advantage, however, since it allows me to check to make certain everything has been properly transferred before the original folders/files have been deleted.

No Events found!