Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2012 15:00

Dell Latitude 100L audio driver installation problem.

Hi. I am in need of help on how to install the audio drivers on the Dell Latitude 100L notebook.

I recently clean-install Windows XP Pro with SP3 slipstream on it. All the other drivers and required programs are all installed but the audio drivers aren't.

Is there a way to install the driver? It keeps giving me the "Device not found" error whenever it tries to install. Or do you have any recommendations? I tried other methods posted but it didn't apply too well though. 

Side notes: I don't see a question mark in the Device Management. It's like the hardware itself doesn't exist.

July 5th, 2012 18:00

Hi Anitokyomics,

Welcome to the Dell Community,

Thank you for posting on Dell Community Forum, the audio drivers for your computer can be downloaded and installed from our dell support website.

Please follow the below mentioned link to install the latest drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

Click on Audio, Download and install the Sigmatel Driver, restart your computer and check if the audio is working.

Please reply to the post if you have any further queries.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Aryan_V

Dell Social Media Responder

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 5th, 2012 20:00

Hello. I was typing up my reply a few hours ago when company came and I could not finish at that time.

I tried other methods posted but it didn't apply too well though. 

You have probably seen that the first thing that must be installed is Dell System Software, then a restart, followed by the Intel Chipset and a restart. The audio driver in XP is particularly sensitive to these requirements and I am not sure if slip streaming allows for the process to work. I suggest you now follow the process -- without doing a full reinstallation of the operating system.

Dell Notebook System Software >install>restart

Intel Mobile Chipset software>install>restart

This process should allow the operating system to identify the audio hardware on the motherboard to avoid a Device Not Found error.

Finally install the Sigmatel audio driver R90698.

July 6th, 2012 02:00

I mentioned in my post that I have installed the drivers already but the audio doesn't want to install.

July 6th, 2012 02:00

@Jim

That's what I did. I installed the Dell Notebook System Software and restarted. Then the Intel Mobile Chipset Software and restarted. Then the other drivers such as the LAN, W-LAN, Display until the audio came out. Still, nothing happened unless I do another clean install again.

EDIT:

I did a clean install, tried again, nothing. It still says that it isn't present.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 6th, 2012 05:00

Sorry, I was as bad as the other guy in not reading carefully.

Did the audio work previously? If you have the original Utilities or Resource disk that came with the laptop run Dell Diagnostics audio tests. If the audio hardware has failed you could get that error.

Another possibility is bad modem. Symptoms include inability to get the audio driver to install, getting an error message saying no audio hardware present, and audio properties settings being grayed out. To test this you have to physically remove the modem, not just uninstall the driver. With the modem removed, try again to install the audio driver.  It is easy to check on your model because there is an access door on the bottom of the case.

July 6th, 2012 06:00

It did work previously. It was flawless until its Operating System got infected by a virus. This is like the first repair in years. Unfortunately, I lost the discs that came with the laptop and also the laptop can no longer read discs as well.

But the focus right now is the audio. I'll try to remove the modem to see if it works. Hopefully it will install.

EDIT: It didn't install. Sadly. I removed the modem already. Nothing works. 

No Events found!