Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2016 09:00

Dell Precision M4800 laptop screen stops refreshing randomly - FirePro M5100 - Win10

I just got a new work laptop Precision M4800 and it has the FirePro M5100 4k video card. I am having issues with it where it stops refreshing. The reason I know this is the problem is because if I run 2 DP monitors + laptop screen, my mouse cursor will freeze on the laptop screen and if I keep moving the mouse left I now have a mouse cursor that is moving and then the one on the laptop screen is frozen and then it vanishes. I tried multiple drivers from Dell and AMD and still having the same issue. Not sure what else I could try. If I run the laptop standalone without any other monitors it just looks like the mouse/keyboard stop working and then all of the sudden it starts working.

SPECS:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz 41 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 771MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 25 °C

Graphics
Standard Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD FirePro M5100 FireGL V (Dell) 49 °C

Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (SSD) 40 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB mSATA (SSD) 36 °C
100MB ASMT109x - Config SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA))

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N

Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

January 20th, 2016 16:00

Any ideas?

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 08:00

I have the same issue. I usually don't use my laptop screen so I only notice the problem when I am using the laptop off the dock. With my problem I have found that the screen seems to stop refreshing until a certain event takes place.

If I am signing into my laptop the screen will not refresh while I am typing the password, but if I swipe my finger across the trackpad the screen will refresh and show the characters I have typed in.

If I am trying to save a file all of a sudden the screen will stop refreshing, but I hit the "windows" button on the keyboard and wait the start menu will open and the screen will be refreshing again.

I am using Windows 7, same graphics card (which they installed on warranty because the installed NVidia wouldn't actually work with the daisy-chained dell displayport monitors. M4800 Laptop and ultra high res laptop display.

I went in search hoping there was an updated driver.

BTW, I also have issues using the VGA port to connect to a projector. Image blinks in and out like it is trying to negotiate a connection but never does.

February 3rd, 2016 08:00

So seems like we both have something in common than.

My laptop also originally came with Nvidia Quadro K2100M and was swapped over to the FirePro M5100. Maybe the motherboard/cpu don't like that swap. That is pretty odd. Not sure but it's pretty annoying.

February 5th, 2016 06:00

Have the same problem as you and still didn't solve it. There should be some problem between Win 10 operating system and FirePro.M5100. I cannot believe that this issue will happen in a workstation!

2 Posts

June 16th, 2016 09:00

Any luck with this issue, guys? I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Uninstalling and reinstalling the 5100 driver through the device manager seemed to have cleared up the issue for now. Not sure when it'll return, knock on wood.

2 Posts

June 16th, 2016 11:00

I wrestled with this for a while.

I got Dell to put the Nvidia card back in, which corrected the built-in display, then had an issue where the laptop would not boot on the dock with the DisplayPort 1.2 monitors. In the end I couldn't use the DisplayPort monitors in a daisy chained fashion. I have 3 monitors. Two are DisplayPort (using individual DisplayPort connectors from the dock) running at 1920x1080, and the third is connected with a VGA cable to the VGA connector on the back of the dock and runs at 1680x1050. I can also use built-in laptop display will all that running and there are no issues.

Not ideal knowing that I got the monitors because they were supposed to work daisychained, but the laptop won't boot with them connected.

No Events found!