Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2017 05:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 - additional Harddisk

Hi everyone,

I recently ordered a new dell xps 15 (model 9560)

I know that the battery is integrated already.

But can someone tell me if there is a possibility to add an additional SSD or Harddisk next to the one already installed?

thank you 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 21st, 2017 10:00

It depeneds on the battery you ordered - if you ordered the larger of the two batteries, no - the battery consumes the 2.5" drive bay.

If you have the smaller capacity battery, it may be possible to mount a 2.5" SSD - but note that someone who's tried has found it will only run at SATA 150 speeds.  The system supports either a spinning hard drive + M.2 cache ssd OR a single M.2 SSD -- and if that M.2 drive is NVMe, it likely consumes the bandwidth that's available for the 2.5" SSD connector.

532 Posts

February 21st, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

To answer your question, XPS 9560 is shipped with the following:

Hard drive: One 2.5-inch drive

Solid-state drive: One M.2 drive

Please private message the following details.

· Your Order#/Customer#/Service Tag/Express Service Code,

· The name the order was placed under,

. Email address

So that we can check the exact details of the system. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2017 00:00

thanks ejn63

I could not choose the battery to be honest, I did notice it was a M2 sdd of 512 Gb that was already installed

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 2nd, 2017 05:00

The 512G SSD model comes with the 97 WHr battery - meaning no space for a 2.5" drive.

August 11th, 2017 07:00

Hi ejn63

your post is really interesting to me because I am going to install a second SSD into the 2.5 inch space.

I currently have the 256 M.2 SSD and I would like to install the second SSD just to be used as a storage device.

When you say that the speed is downgraded to SATA 150 you mean it will affect only the second SSD while the main M.2 SSD performance remain unchanged or it will affect the performance of the main M.2 as well?

thanks for the reply!

No Events found!