Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2013 13:00

E6530 - additional mSata SSD boot

Hey there!

Planning to buy the Latitude E6530, questions about mSata:

1. Is it possible to add an mSATA SSD drive in addition to the primary?

2. Can this additional SSD be used as a system drive (boot)?

Desired configuration is a mobile audio work station:
Secondary mSATA SSD as system drive + audio sample libraries
Primary HDD as audio project/recording drive
Modular bay (DVD bay) with extra battery
eSata for larger audio sample libraries

Also, anyone got experience of HDD/SDD modular bay adapters for E6530? Do they have any special quirks/limitations? Can they be configured bootable?

Cheers

Paawo

29 Posts

March 10th, 2013 16:00

I am also looking for the same...

This is what I found in the web:

"The optical drive can also be replaced with another storage device. The UMTS slot (full size miniPCIe) does not seem to support the mSATA standard. The Crucial M4 mSATA SSD could not be recognized and therefore cannot be used."

citation from www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-E6530-Notebook.88073.0.html

4 Posts

March 11th, 2013 10:00

Yes, I came pretty much to the same conclusion after some frustrating googling...

so I have ditched the Latitude as having a HDD/SSD in the media bay will of course prevent me from using an extra battery in there.

I'm going for Precision M4700 instead, although it's more pricey. There's no media bay battery available, but it has a 9-cell battery option. Plus mSata SSD, and easily swappable HDD/SSD drive. And the possibility for extra HDD/SSD in media bay.

cheers

11 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 18:00

I just spotted this update for the E6530:

Firmware for LITEONIT LMT-128M6M MSATA 128GB, Revision DM7110C

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e6530?driverId=G05HM&osCode=W864&fileId=3171334967&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SA

Searching for LITEONIT LMT-128M6M MSATA 128GB suggests that it is indeed an mSATA drive.

Does that mean there is now support for mSATA drives on the E6530?

1 Message

August 2nd, 2013 13:00

I've recently ordered an E6530 with an mSATA drive, because I wanted to see how they did it. I have some other E6530s around, and had no luck adding mSATA.

The laptop I ordered came with the mSATA drive in the MAIN DRIVE BAY, in a horrible wire cage. A small adapter connects the mSATA drive to the standard SATA/power connections.

Truly depressing. Even offering such an option is insulting. Why put a micro-format SATA2 disk into a full sized and SATA3 laptop? There should be an mSATA slot, or at least the correct wiring into the WWAN slot!

No Events found!