Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2016 15:00

How do I rectify black screen startup on an Inspiron 5537 15R running Windows 10 Home?

The normal startup sequence is:

1 Illuminated screen (1 sec) permitting F12 access to BIOS

2 Dell Logo with rotating dots

3 Desktop

What I am now getting is:

1 Black screen (30-35 sec) with no access to BIOS

2 and 3 as before.

Since this unfortunate change happened, I have been unable to see USB3 drives anywhere on the system (File Manager, Safely Remove Hardware, Device Manager, Disk Management, etc).

I have had this fault before with both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, but have never found a remedy, and have always had to wait for the fault to rectify itself. This has meant waiting anything from 3 days to 1 month. Once the normal startup resumes, the USB3 fault is rectified without further ado.

I have found no solution to this on the Dell site. I do not understand why this happens every 2-3 months, and would greatly appreciate any remedy which does not involve delving inside the machine.

Apologies for reposting this question, but I now feel this category more appropriate than Laptops.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 20th, 2016 19:00

Hi Rackbrane,

The system would have got updated to newer BIOS version which would have changed it. You can press the F2 or F12 during the Dell Logo stage to enter into the BIOS / One time to boot up  screen.

Also, I’d suggest that you update BIOS and chipset driver on your computer to check for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and chipset from chipset section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

15 Posts

September 21st, 2016 09:00

The BIOS driver offered by Dell hasn't changed since the machine was new. It's still 5537A08. Reinstalling it has had no effect, but the BIOS driver listed in Device Manager is Microsoft System Management BIOS 10.0.14393.0. I don't understand that. There are three drivers listed by Dell under Chipset, but only two would install: Chipset_Driver_FTHX8_WN_9.4.0.1026 and Chipset_Driver_6K47T_WN_6.2.9600.39054. The third one (Intel Management Engine Interface Driver) gave an error message that the computer does not meet the minimum requirement. None of these changes has rectified the boot problem.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hi Rackbrane,

I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults and then check if issue reoccurs.

1. Reboot the computer.

2. When prompted during POST, press the key to enter the setup screen.

3. On the System Setup screen, press the key.

4. Press the key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Also, Please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

In addition, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the system. You can download SupportAssist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP to check for issues.

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

15 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 02:00

I cannot get into the BIOS at bootup. The Inspiron has never given a prompt indicating F2 and F12 until after the Dell logo appears, and then it's too late. The way to access BIOS when the machine is working normally is to press the F2 or F12 during the blank illuminated screen which I am not currently getting. As long as I have this fault, I can get into BIOS only through Windows Startup -> Recovery -> Advanced Options.

I have tried Load Default Options many times. It does not rectify the problem.

ePSA shows no fault, but in common with Windows it cannot detect the USB3 drive.

Support Assist shows no fault, but that also cannot see the USB3 drive.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 25th, 2016 03:00

Hi  Rackbrane,

I would suggest you to downgrade the BIOS on the system to check if you are able to see the Dell Logo.

downloads.dell.com/.../5537A06.exe

15 Posts

September 25th, 2016 10:00

I'm afraid the A06 BIOS made no difference.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 26th, 2016 07:00

Hi Rackbrane,

Please check in the BIOS if the version is updated to the A06 version. If its updated to A06 version please update back to latest BIOS again.

15 Posts

September 29th, 2016 04:00

I have done that, thanks.

Is this the correct installation order for Dell drivers on an Inspiron 5537 15R?

I find it impossible to match the driver descriptions with those in Device Manager and the categories in the Installation Tutorial.

Some drivers are in different categories in the 'Drivers by Category' listing and the 'Installation Order' listing. The latter order doesn't even match the brief description above it, which says 'Dell recommends that you install the drivers in this order: BIOS, Drivers, Firmware and Application.'

I don't understand what that listing is intended for. Does anyone?

Dell Inspiron 5537 System BIOS

Intel WiDi Application

Intel Chipset Driver

Intel RTS5179 Card Reader Driver

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Raeltek High Definition Audio Driver

Intel HD Graphics Family Driver

Intel HD Graphic Family Driver

Raeltek 8105/8106E LAN Driver

Dell Quickset Application

Dell Digital Delivery

Dell Update

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Driver

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Bluetooth Driver

Intel PROSet / Wireless Bluetooth LE GUI Application

Dell Airplane Mode Switch Driver

Dell Touchpad Driver

15 Posts

October 4th, 2016 13:00

The black screen fault rectified itself on 1 Oct, and on 2 Oct I found a new BIOS (A09) had become available. I have installed this now, but cannot say whether it would have cured the problem if it had been available while I had the black screen startup. As I expected, once the boot process was back to normal, the USB3 problem was also corrected.

No Events found!