Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2013 08:00

Inspiron N5110 - USB 3.0 ports not working while 2.0 port is working

Hello

To make i quick..

I took my laptop to a place in order to check it and clean it if need be (it had an overheating problem). They finished their work and I got it back.

When I arrived home and wanted to plug everything back in I found that nothing plugged into the USB 3.0 ports worked.. while plugging the same stuff worked on the 2.0 port.

I tried disabling and enabling the controllers(?) for the USB through Device Manager but it still doesn't work (btw it doesn't mention USB 3.0 there).

I also tried installing drivers but it still doesn't work. Been searching around for hours but nothing really worked.

I tried system restoring too, but it didn't do anything except reverting system updates.

OS is Windows 7.

Any idea how to fix this?

I'm planning to give it back to them so they can fix it (free of charge) since they caused it in the first place, but I thought I should ask.

807 Posts

July 15th, 2013 09:00

USB controllers should be located here (see screenshot)

Since you have tried re-installing the drivers with no luck. I'd run a diagnostic by booting to F12, choose Diagnostics.

What model is the laptop? Win7 32bit or 64bit?

Did the repair shop re-install the OS? If so did they follow the correct order when installing the drivers?

Are there any other errors in Device Manager? (Provide screenshot)

10 Posts

Oh sorry.. I kept following 'win 7' when searching with '64 bit' up to this point where it's most important ><

It's 64.

And no.. as far as I can tell they didn't do anything other than cleaning.. everything is in place too.

There doesn't seem to be any error, but here's a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/2DF7VBH.jpg?1

Oh and I noticed something while looking around in Device Manager..

in every controller.. when I right click > properties and choose Advanced tab it says what's the device connected to it.. except the last two they only say 'hub is operating at high speed'. Not sure if this means anything or if it's abnormal but I thought I should mention it.

Going to run a diagnosis now.

807 Posts

Okay thanks for screen shot. Yes the USB 3.0 host controller is missing. All other devices look okay to me.

USB 2.0 is high speed so that all okay.

Re-install the USB 3.0 host controller driver (under chipset category on Dell driver & download site) again just to be sure. You didn't include your system model so if you need help finding the driver then post back.

Perform the diagnostic and post back with results.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

July 15th, 2013 11:00

Hi,

Check if you have installed the correct drivers for USB 3.0:

http://dell.to/16Erg7i

Refer the following link for more troubleshooting:

http://dell.to/1aIxE54

If the issue persists, Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

807 Posts

807 Posts

Are you getting any errors when installing the USB 3.0 driver? Does it install successfully but the hardware still doesn't show up in Device Manager?

Laptop model? ie Inspiron xxxx, XPS xxxx, etc

10 Posts

Still no change :|

I didn't restart this time if it has anything to do with it.

10 Posts

I did reinstall that yesterday but I did it again now just in-case.. it still doesn't work :(

Also done with Diagnostic and it said everything was fine.. though when I performed the extra test it didn't progress past 96%.. I wasn't sure if that's how it is so I just canceled it form there because it took way too long.

The model is Home Premium.. sorry I didn't include it in the last post but I wasn't sure what you meant by that.

10 Posts

Nope there're no errors it installs correctly but there's no change in Device Manager.. it's the same as in the screenshot everytime.

The Laptop is Dell Inspiron N5110.

807 Posts

Try this earlier version

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-n5110

10 Posts

One thing that might be relevant.. when I plug in the mouse in 3.0 it doesn't even light up..

807 Posts

July 15th, 2013 12:00

No problem...the Renesas driver isn't compatible with your system anyway I just wanted to check what happened.

I'm beginning to think this maybe hardware related but I can't be sure.

I'd like you to try this last install then I'm all out of ideas. Download and install these drivers in this order (top to bottom)

If the above doesn't fix the issue then it may be best to return to the repairers for remedy. Unless anyone else has any other solutions?

10 Posts

I tried running this driver but it gave me an error near the end.. it stopped at "removing applications" above the progress bar behind this error pop up

http://i.imgur.com/x9T0bs0.jpg?1

After pressing ok on this another error window popped up and the progress changed to "computing space requirement"

http://i.imgur.com/1T0Jpeu.jpg?1

10 Posts

Yeah I'm kind of thinking it might be that.. especially that they had to work on the inside of the laptop..

And yeah I did a system restore to a point before giving it to them (they actually finished working on it while I was around and it took them about 20 minutes).

Just did all those in the same order but still no result..

Thanks a lot anyway.. I'm probably going to give it back to them and see how it goes.

Sorry for the trouble.

807 Posts

Hey, no trouble at all. Just frustrating that nothing worked. A complete factory restore or clean install of Windows OS could fix the issue but that's something you'll need to decide. If you want to go down that route then post back and we'll guide you through it. TBH the repairers will likely try that as part of their diagnosis.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

No Events found!