Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2012 20:00

Jammed DVD slot drive

Hi people i'll say this right away i'm very new to this forum so my apologies if i post to the wrong thread/s it's been years since i was into the forums..

That said my question is i've just bought a StudioXPS 1640 and I got it cheap as the slot drive is jammed and I would like to replace it with a blu ray slot drive and having not pulled this machine down yet I don't know wether it has a slim or normal profile drive also does it use sata or the older pata style connector..

Thanks in advance..

2.9K Posts

February 5th, 2012 00:00

D34DPUNK,

No.  Removal and installation of the Studio 1555's optical drive is found here:  support.dell.com/.../optical.htm

The same Blu-Ray drive I referenced earlier; i.e., the LG CA-21N, can be used.  Installation in the Studio 1555 does not require the use of an interposer to connect it to the motherboard.

Tony

2.9K Posts

February 4th, 2012 23:00

D34DPUNK,

The Studio XPS 1640 internal optical drive uses a SATA interface with interposer.   Removal and installation instructions are here:  support.dell.com/.../optical.htm

Found this Blue-Ray/DVD RW drive on eBay:  www.ebay.com/.../110815644769

Hope this info helps.

Tony

3 Posts

I'm very sorry I stand corrected it's a Studio XPS 1555 does this alter the hardware it supports??

3 Posts

Thank you very much i'll look at getting that drive installing it will be simple enough..

No Events found!