Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 19th, 2013 22:00

Latitude E6400 power issues, won't turn on and won't turn off...?

As random as the title is, they're the problems I'm having.

Today my Latitude E6400 was fine, I closed it and opened it a few minutes later when the screen flashed black and came back as all white. Holding down the power button then turning it back on brought back another all white screen, however I could still hear the hard drive working as it was starting up. After letting it sit without the battery and not plugged in I put the battery back in and it didn't quite turn on, the power button light started bright then went dim and kind of flickered. After a few tries I got it on, only to have it freeze up after 30 seconds or so.

After 7 hours, it turns on as soon as I put the battery in, only to turn back off and go to the dim flickering power light. The difference now is I can turn it on, but not off again. Trying to go to shut down, restart, suspend to ram (sleep or standby) or suspend to disk (hibernate) results in it going to a black screen and doing absolutely nothing. I also noticed that it's draining the battery insanely fast, I normally get two and a half hours off a battery but it dropped to 54% in 20 minutes. Closing the screen also results in the flickering powerlight, black screen despite the fact that Windows is set to do nothing with the screen closed.

I already cleared the CMOS on it (removed internal battery, waited) and tried with only power cord, same problem only after I removed the battery it complained about the date and time. So far it's been running without a lockup.

So, is this here an odd problem only I have and will probably require a new motherboard, or is there something I'm missing that would be causing this?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 20th, 2013 10:00

Hi Compgeke,

This could be a problem with the Display settings, please follow the below mentioned steps to change the display settings.

1. Right click your desktop and choose personalize; click on screensaver and click “Change power settings”.
  2. On the left side click choose "when to turn off display". Here you can adjust the automatic turn off time for your display. Change it to never or 0. Click Apply and ok/save.
  3. Check the functionality of display. 
  • If the issue persists I suggest you to change the sleep settings, please follow the below steps:
  1. Click Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Power Options.
  2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.
  3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.
  4. On the Advance settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow Hybrid Sleep, and choose OFF.
  5. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.
  6. On the Advanced settings tab, expand USB settings, under USB settings expand USB selective suspend settings, choose Disable.
  7. Click Apply and then OK to save the changes.

Check if the above steps work and post the results.

48 Posts

May 20th, 2013 11:00

Power settings are fairly irrelevant when this happens with Windows or Linux, whether I'm in the BIOS or OS or even if the laptop is done POSTing.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi Compgeke,

I suggest you to update the BIOS for the system and check if that help.

Ensure the AC-adapter is connected to the laptop and the battery charge is above 15%.

Click this link: http://dell.to/12ui4By

Select Download file and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update, restart the system when prompted and check the functionality of the laptop.

Kindly post the results.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2015 22:00

Hi sir,

I have Dell L 6400 laptop. Yesterday we was watching movie on this laptop but after some time laptop is turn off directly & not powering on again. Charger was connected that time. When we are connecting charger, charger green lite off automatically, it is not glow until the reconnect charger on wall power socket.

Below troubleshooting has been done but not working.

Remove battery & press power key near about 1 min.

Try to power on direct power adapter.

When connect charger to laptop green lite is off.

Please suggest.

No Events found!