Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2012 01:00

Left click on touchpad is "sticky"/gets stuck.

Hello, 

I have a Dell XPS 15 (L521x) that I have gotten refurbished as a system exchange.

I have noticed that the left click of the trackpad sometimes gets "stuck" when I click it and the pointer stays "active" until remedied by right clicking.
Examples of what I mean:

• Scrolling will get "stuck" after I left click to drag the scroll bar up and down. It is not relieved by left clicking again. It is relieved by right clicking.
  • When selecting icons, the selection box will not release and continue to drag the selection box across the screen until relieved by right clicking.
  • Selecting text, the selection will not "release" and will continue to select text

Hopefully this is enough to explain my situation and problem. I am hoping there is a solution to this. 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 25th, 2012 03:00

Hi patrick123456789 ,

The problem could be with the hard ware of the touchpad, however let us try making some software changes with regards to the touchpad before coming to a conclusion.

To rectify this issue, please follow the below mentioned steps:

1)      Click “Start”, type “Device Manager” and press enter.

2)      In the “Device Manager” window, double click “Mouse and other pointing devices”.

3)      Right click "Dell Touchpad", click "Uninstall", and ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.

4)      Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.

5)     Click “Start”, type “Programs and Features” and press enter.

6)      In the “Programs and Features” window, right click “Quickset64”, click “Change/Uninstall”.

7)      Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.

8)       Restart the computer.

9)       Use the following link to download the Touchpad driver: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15-l521x?driverId=71M63&osCode=W764&fileId=2997778636

10)  Select drivers and downloads from the option and the page looks as follows:

11)   From the list select Input->select the Dell Design Driver for “touchpad”-> select Download file.

12)  Once the download is completed, run the driver file.

13)  Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

14)  Restart the computer.

15)   Use the following link to download the Dell Quickset: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15-l521x?driverId=3V1FT&osCode=W764&fileId=2997776567

16)  From the list select Application->select the Dell-Application for “Dell "quicksest”-> select Download file.

17)  Once the download is completed, run the driver file.

18)   Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

19)  Restart the computer.

Please check the functionality of the touchpad and reply if the issue persists.

October 25th, 2012 21:00

Nikhil D,

Thank you for your reply. I have done everything you have listed. However, the problem persists. I have analyzed the problem a little further and realized that the "sticky" key of the left click only occurs when i click by pressing down on a certain part of the touch pad. The problem can be relieved by either right clicking or clicking the left click and holding it while moving a finger across the touchpad.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 26th, 2012 06:00

Hi patrick123456789,

I can understand electronic devices can create confusion when they do not work the way they are designed for. I appreciate your time in trying to fix the laptop by yourself.

As the problem is with the hardware functionality of the laptop, replacing the touchpad will fix the problem.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. 
To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

To check the Warranty status use this link:  http://tinyurl.com/5r4b8j

Awaiting your response!

3.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                

No Events found!