Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2009 09:00

ST9500420AS drive with Precision M4300 laptop

I want to upgrade the hard drive on my son's Precision M4300 laptop. In reading the reviews, I see that the Seagate ST9500420AS rates the highest, with the Western Digital Scorpions following. I want to know if anyone has had any experience with the ST9500420AS in this particular laptop. Seagate admits that there are issues with the ASG model in Dell machines, but claim that there are no issues with the AS model. I have seen in some forums that people claim that they have the clicking/freezing problem with the AS models, also. I'm not sure if they actually have the ASG and don't realize it or if there truly is a problem with the AS model in this laptop. I'd like to hear about people's experiences putting this hard drive into this laptop.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 09:00

If you're after a 500G 7200 rpm drive, WD doesn't have one.  At the moment, however, if it's the prospect of better reliability you're after, take the smaller drive (320G max) and buy the Scorpio Black.  WD is making better drives than Seagate at the moment.

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 10:00

I don't understand how the Seagate can be rated so highly when there are problems attached to the drive.  My son needs the reliability and speed more than the extra 180GB of storage.  Does everyone else agree that the Scorpio Black would be the best choice for this laptop?  My son uses this computer to do 3D rendering and other aerospace engineering applications.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 10:00

Based on what I've seen recently - admittedly anecdotal, as all end-user observations are - WD drives are the choice ones these days.  Seagate has had firmware and quality issues of late - as all manufacturers have from time to time, WD included. 
There's a reason why Western Digital is close to seizing the crown for largest hard drive vendor in the world -- they're executing their designs and business strategy flawlessly of late.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/10/23/wd_q1fy2010/

No Events found!