Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2012 04:00

Vertical lines on my monitor, help!

I have observed a gradual development of coloured vertical lines on my monitor.  First, it was on one and now I have about three of them. They look quite beautiful lol.

Please is it a sign my machine is packing up? is it remediable? How?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

February 16th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

I am sorry about the confusion from my previous post. If there are no vertical lines on the external display,it means its an issue with the LCD on your laptop.

Do you know if your system is covered under warranty? If its not covered you would have to contact ,out of warranty repairs department to get the LCD replaced.

If you want me to check the warranty,click on my user name and send email with the system service tag number.

Thank you

Roshan.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

February 16th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.It could be a problem with the monitor or the video card on the system.

For further help post your specific system model name (for example Inspiron 545 or XPS L511z).

Thank You

Roshan.

4 Posts

Thank you Roshan. The model is Inspiron 6400, running on Xp service pack 3. Yes I have seen some thing

something about video card while troubleshooting not sure again exactly what I saw.

Please any help will be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi,

Try connecting external monitor  to your laptop.If you see the vertical lines on external display it means the LCD needs to be replaced and if you don't see the vertical lines it is an issue with the video card.

Let me know if you need further help.

Thanks

Roshan.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi,

Looks like the Video card.However you can still try to uninstall reinstall the video card driver to see if that helps.

Use this link below to reinstall the Video card driver:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Let me know if it helps.

Thank You

Roshan.

4 Posts

Bingo!  I just connected it to a different monitor and the lines were gone.

Video card you think?

4 Posts

Thanks there is no instruction on how to uninstall.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

February 16th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Got your email  and yes the warranty did expire in 2008.I did a bit of research for you and found some information on Dell  Authorized  Service Provider in your region.You can contact them to get more information about the repair options.

Use the link below to get the details on the service provider.

www1.euro.dell.com/.../nigeria

Hope this helps.

Thank You

Roshan.

No Events found!