Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2016 05:00

Vostro V13 starts when lid moved

I have a Vostro V13 which is showing odd behaviour. When I shut down Windows 7, it shuts down fine. I then go to close the lid and it starts to boot up again.

This happens as soon as I start to close the lid, and in fact is caused by moving the lid at all.

I've updated the Bios to A05 with no effect. Any ideas what might be causing this?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 1st, 2016 09:00

Hi holmpc,

Thanks for posting!

From the symptoms you posted, it may possibly be the Hall Sensor.

If your system is still under warranty, you may wish to contact tech support and troubleshoot with them. If not, then you may wish to contact our Out of Warranty department to discuss the possibilities of repair.

If not, then you may wish to repair it yourself or take it to a local computer shop.

Hope this helps, post back if you need additional assistance so the experts on this board can respond.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

4 Posts

September 1st, 2016 10:00

Thanks Robert. It's well out of warranty and the problem is annoying but not enough to warrant spending on a repair. 

If I wanted to repair it myself are there any help guides you can point me at?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 9th, 2016 08:00

My best suggestion would be to check Parts-People.com and find the part.  In addition, check this video for laptops screen replacement to get an idea of how to take apart the lid and check the manuals for the exact location of the part.

Let me know if you need additional assistance.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!