Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

August 16th, 2017 03:00

WD15 & 5x80 Latitude

Dear,

since the new series (5x80) + Dock's D6000 & WD15, we have some problems with the power supply. Especially with the WD15. Can not understand why you did not have a Power Button built into the docks. On the WD15 is a button, but for wake on sleep not to start the system. Exactly this does not work when the notebook is completely unloaded. Tip, if the power button would be on the side of the notebook, you could save the button and this would be much better also for D6000 users. Because the notebook in connection with the D6000 is always open or open up to start it. If you already have 2 monitors, you want to close it.

Furthermore, the message that a too weak power supply is connected, see picture / appendix.
Apparently the Bios update 1.5.2 was withdrawn, but also it was not located. After downgrading to 1.4.3, the problem still exists.

Please tell me who has similar problem so that DELL can fix this as soon as possible.

I have passed it to technical support, but apparently does not have this urgency?

Thx and best regards

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 16th, 2017 07:00

Can you confirm you've got a 180W power supply connected to the WD15?  The WD15 is sold with 130W and 180W power supplies, but 180W is the minimum power supply when using a Latitude 5x80 according to the WD15 FAQ here.  For the power button, the manual does suggest that it's just a Sleep/Wake button, which does surprise me. I'm wondering if that might just be a limitation of the USB-C spec, because the T1B16 Thunderbolt Dock's power button does work as a full power button, although I haven't confirmed that.

6 Posts

August 16th, 2017 07:00

Thx for answer. Yes i use 180W , tried also with 130W and 210W, same issue.

Without WD15, directly on notebook seems to be fine.

If I am in the BIOS and exchange the power supplies while you hang on the WD15, always 90W is displayed. Dell says although usb-c should be supported only 100w should be seen 130w?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 16th, 2017 08:00

The USB Power Delivery spec supports up to 100W, and the WD15 is capable of supplying up to 130W to a connected system (I guess they're stretching the voltage and/or amperage a bit), but that doesn't mean that every source needs to provide that much power or that every device needs to accept that much. I don't have a 5480 to test with, but it might only accept 90W over USB-C.  However, it definitely should NOT be throwing a warning about inadequate power when connected to a WD15 driven by a 180W power supply.  Assuming you've seen this with multiple AC adapters connected to the dock, that sounds like it might be a hardware issue with the dock.  There is a firmware update for that dock that you can try if you haven't already, though.

6 Posts

August 17th, 2017 01:00

Dear, the firmware is already up to date & tried also another wd15 with another 5x80, same issue

6 Posts

August 17th, 2017 02:00

After repeated tests we have found the problem:

If the Dock WD15 loses power overnight, you will not have any more voltage, The Power Button does not work on the WD15 when the notebook is connected via USB-C, the LED on the USB-C cable is off. If I start the notebook via the power button on the notebook comes exactly this error message. It recognizes what is connected to USB-C, but does not provide the desired power / watts.

When I then disconnect the USB-C from the notebook and connect it again, it works again, LED on the USB-C lights up and the notebook can be started via the WD15 Power Button.

The problem exists with current firmware (DellDockingStationFwUp_1.0.0.8_20161220_WD15.exe) as well as at a new unpacked WD15 (assumes here is still an older firmware installed?)

The problem is exactly adjustable, we ask for fast troubleshooting, please forward to firmware department and fix it a.s.a.p.

Thx in advance

1 Message

September 18th, 2017 15:00

I have the same issue.  Latitude 5580 with a WD15 dock.  Installed current firmware and received the power message at boot.  It is now a month later.  I wonder if a real fix is immanent.

6 Posts

September 18th, 2017 23:00

Exactly, but an official opinion can be expected, right ? I think sooner or later, everyone will stumble on this problem.

1 Message

November 7th, 2017 12:00

It is now November and we also have the same issue with several of our WD15 docking stations and 5480 laptops. Using 180W power supplies, using Dell Command|Update so all of updates for the laptop and the docking stations have been performed. Have there been any updates as to a fix for this issue?

6 Posts

November 9th, 2017 23:00

This is the answer from DELL:

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that this is a normal behavior of this configuration and thus can not be assessed as a misconduct. Whether there will be a change with future firmware customizations is currently unknown.

I forwarded your request for an official statement / statement.

1 Message

November 27th, 2017 14:00

Having the same issue.  Hoping Dell addresses this.

No Events found!