Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2014 10:00

no boot sector on internal hard drive

This question has been asked hundreds of times yet it seems to have never been answered anywhere. I am trying to install a new SSD drive on my Dell 14 1440 laptop. I have it showing in the BIOS but when I try to boot it gives me a "no boot sector on internal hard drive".

I have rearranged the boot sequence, I have used F12 to try to boot from the DVD, same error. Judging by the hundreds of other Google topics asking and saying exactly the same thing, this seems to be a Dell problem especially for those with Inspiron laptops.

Basically the computer is insisting on finding the boot sector and bypassing any attempt to stop it. With this question asked countless of times I am hoping by now Dell has a solution for it.

I would be very grateful if anyone who had the same problem and was able to solve it could share their solution with me.

Thanks.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 21:00

Had to revise my solution. Final solution below.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 22:00

Amazingly not one single solution to this problem has been posted. Reading several posts, I finally was able to piece a few things together and arrive at the solution.

1. Buy a USB thumb drive of at least 4 GB
2. Download Rufus from here : http://rufus.akeo.ie/
3. Download the ISO version of Windows you need. I needed Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ISO so I downloaded it from here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-home-premium-64bit-iso-download/709dcc12-d120-435d-91cd-52e1dd0f4c24

If you already have a disk, you need to create an ISO disk from the disk you have using any CD burning software you have.
4. Insert your thumb drive into the computer with Rufus on it.
5. Run Rufus
6. Choose the file system you want. I chose NTFS
7. Where it says "create a bootable disk using" change it to ISO image
8. Navigate to where the ISO image you want to use is and open it.
9. Click Start. When it is done, click close.
10. Remove the thumb drive and place it in the laptop with the "No boot sector on internal hard drive" message.
11. Turn on the laptop and voila! Windows loads!!! Install Windows.

Make sure in setup (F2)  you have the internal hard drive checked or it will not show up if you restart Windows after the install. If that happens go into setup (F2) and set your boot sequence.

No Events found!