Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2009 03:00

no sound on Inspiron 1525

Hi,

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1525, I installed XP SP2 on it.  Everything works fine except of the sound device which is not identified in Windows XP. I tried to install the newest driver from www.dell.com but it doesn't work. I have tried everything, re-install windows, manually install the sound card driver, try older driver versions, install upgrades for XP. Anybody has an idea? Please advise. Thanks in advance,

Norbi

May 29th, 2009 04:00

Hi,

I have a 1526, which is pretty much the same as the 1525. xp does not come with a high definition audio driver, so you must get one yourself on the XP page off of the driver list for the 1525, or go to sigmatel themselves for it.

The following link is where i got mine:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUNDCARDS/Sigmatel-STAC-92XX-C-Major-HD-Audio-5105067.shtml

if that doesnt work, then try and search around for "C-major HD audio driver" and you should find what you are looking for.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 29th, 2009 04:00

These instructions are for a situation where an operating system has already been reinstalled and everything works except the audio driver will not install ... usually you get an error message, because the Notebook System Software and chipset drivers were not installed correctly and the audio chip on the motherboard is not recognized. In this situation "usually" a fresh install of the OS is not required, just re-installing the NSS and chipset correctly. If that doesn't work then a full re-installation may be necessary.

After you have performed an Operating System re-installation, install in this order:

a. Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (expand the Chipset category). Restart.

c. Install the Sigmatel audio driver (expand the Audio category).

Get these from the 1525 driver downloads page. When you get on the page use the dropdown box to select your Operating System.

Rarely there will still be a problem with the installation at this point (in XP). In those cases follow this tip from forum member rpilT2005: check in the Device Manager for a "PCI Device" with a yellow question mark next to it, under the "System Devices" grouping. Hit 'update driver' on that one, and it should find the driver.

No Events found!