Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2015 22:00

xps 13 9350 keyboard backlit not working...

I just received my new XPS 13 9350 and the backlit keyboard never worked.. the only light i can see is from the caps lock...

I've no idea whether this is a hardware problem or just some driver problem...

I've tried the BIOS setting but nothing changed. And the Windows Mobility Center didn't show anything about keyboard backlight..

28 Posts

November 6th, 2015 02:00

Morning - interestingly, our XPS 13 9350 has F10 as the backlight switch, not F6 as above. (Maybe it's UK specific or something?)

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,

Chris

1.2K Posts

November 5th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us! You can use the F6 key combination to enable or disable backlight.

Hoping this helps!

Regards,

2 Posts

November 5th, 2015 12:00

well, I've tried and it didn't help.

I even tried to change the settings in the bios setting, and nothing changed.

also the windows mobility center didn't show anything about the keyboard backlight.

10 Posts

November 5th, 2015 19:00

Same problem here, I was given a prompt during the initial setup to set the timeout period for the backlit keyboard, but now there is no way to change it. I was on the phone with tech support for 3 hours and he downloaded all kinds of updates and utilities, nothing worked. I hate it when tech support knows no more about the system than me.

1.2K Posts

November 6th, 2015 11:00

Hi @Subsim ,@B1ackca7 ,

I would request you both to try these steps,

*Go to the system bios by pressing the F2 key on system startup. Then under POST behavior you should be able to see the FN key options .

*Then turn on the fn key switch between lock mode disable/standard and enable/secondary and this will change how the F6 works.

*F10 should also be able to turn on or off the backlight regardless how the bios is configured.

Awaiting your response after trying these steps.

Regards

10 Posts

November 10th, 2015 18:00

Hello Jennifer and and thanks for the assistance. I tried your solution, I restarted the PC and hit F2 and there is a setting that controls the Function keys, but there is no setting to control the length of time the backlit keyboard stays on.

As I said before, the very strange thing is, when I first took the XPS 15 out of the box and turned it on, went through the setup steps, there was a setting that let me determine the length of time the backlit keyboard stays on. And I cannot find it now, neither can Dell tech. If we think about it, the keyboard has something that tells it x seconds have elapsed since the last input, fade out. How can we determine where the setting is to adjust it? 

UPDATE: I Googled some more tonight and found this: Dell Feature Enhancement Pack Application

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=MHVWP

Sure enough, that utility did install on my Win10 XPS 15 and seems to be working The settings are there to keep the keyboard lighted for 5 secs, 15 secs, 1 minute, 5 minutes....it's great!

31 Posts

November 26th, 2015 12:00

This worked for me, i also get the settings! However, i can't chose the "never" option on my xps13.. whenever i press accept it just removes it, so 5 min is the maximum for me...

3 Posts

April 1st, 2016 06:00

Brilliant That worked!

Thanks

Nick Geary

10 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 21:00

Well, somehow the program Dell Feature Enhancement pack disappeared. I still have the Start menu item, but only the html help files, not the program. I guess some Windows 10 update removed it,

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 22:00

Same here with my new XPS13 9350: I downloaded DFE pack and installed it successfully, but the outcome was a series of help files accessed under the All apps start menu.  I cannot find any tool to change the backlight time-out setting. I wish to avoid fiddling with the BIOS setup.

My F10 keys works to change the intensity - Off-50%-100% but there is nothing about changing the time-out setting. Some more guidance from Dell would help.

1 Message

September 28th, 2016 11:00

Now that you have the DFE Pack installed, simply go to the Control Panel/All Control Panel Items,  and open the Dell Keyboard Backlight Settings and you should be set. This is what I found on my Win 10 Dell XPS 13 9350. Works like a charm! Good luck.

No Events found!