Start a Conversation

Unsolved

69 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 16:00

5501 does not sleep

Hello there,

I have a Latitude 5501 laptop. The problem I am experiencing is that it is not possible to put the computer to sleep. When I intend to do so (from within the start button, power button on the PC, or automatically after some time expires set in power options), the screen goes blank, the power button led is still on and the PC fan keep spinning. If I press a a key or move a mouse, the screen instantly turns on. The screen has the screen lock on, but I dont need to enter the password.

I am using windows 10 64 bit. I have updated the bios with these drivers 5 mins a go. https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=n8x7v&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-15-5501-laptop

I do not have any missing drivers in the device manager.

I would appreciate all help.

1 Message

May 25th, 2020 01:00

Take a look into the BIOS Options: Power Management -> block Sleep

69 Posts

May 25th, 2020 04:00

Hi, thank you for answer.

I had this unchecked. Checking this makes all of the sleep controls dissapear from the OS (as described in bios).

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 23:00

I had the same issue @bremen-pl  on Windows 10 1903, but it was possible to fix it with registry entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

CsEnabled set to 0

But after upgrade to Windows 10 2004, this option disapears from registry and even manual add wont help. I have extactly same issue. After I put computer to sleep, fan still spinning, power LED is on.

I notice, that event viewer has this message:

System wakes up from sleep mode connected

Reason: Input Keyboard

But I did not touch keyboard or mouse.

Any clue how to solve this issue?

69 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 05:00

Hi,

I am still awaiting dell support on this one. Inhave no idea how to fix this issue as well...

69 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 06:00

@Bouda05I have actually tried the solution you have mentioned, since that registry entry was available for me- it kind of worked... The PC goes to a regular sleep (takes around 5 seconds to do so). Then when you wake it up via power button, it goes to that semi-sleep state it was going previously. In order to take it out of that state I need to press any keyboard button. But then again, I am using windows build 1909...

Even though, thank you for this partial help!

69 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 07:00

Also what is important, the OS is not locked once it goes out from sleep sate...

2 Posts

June 7th, 2020 22:00

Yeah, Windows has  us all with this. 

I have a XPS 7590 and now after this  build I cannot undervolt it and I have the same issue as you guys.

Dell should take this more seriously because this is dangerous and so annoying to let your laptop closed and come back after a while and notice it is hot and the battery has being drained, because it actually never goes to sleep. It's dangerous, because if you save your laptop in your backpack who knows what could happen. 

69 Posts

August 9th, 2020 06:00

Hi,

No updates at all. The only workaround is the one posted. In my case there are 2 major problems:

• The sleep like feature I managed to get working is not working correctly (mentioned reasons),
  • Even though the power plan is set to never go to sleep, after couple hours it does and its not possible to wake the pc up. I have to hold the power button for couple seconds to hard power off the device.

IN general, I am very unsatisfied with this PC power management system. The fan is always on and very loud, no matter that the load and temperature is low. I feel like it turns on randomly and never goes off. I am considering turning the block sleep on in bios, since this feature doesnt work.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2020 06:00

Hi, I am having the exactly the same problem (Dell Latitude 5501, Windows 10 Pro, version 2004).  When attempted to go into the sleep mode, fan is on, power button light is on, num lock light is on and network is on (I checked from another computer using ping command).  It only turns off the screen.  I talked to dell tech support and he says it is working as designed.  I don't agree with him.  I still have the ticket opened with Dell.  Any updates on this?

6 Posts

August 10th, 2020 00:00

Unfortunately still no updates, but in my support case Dell say that this is an issue, not feature by design.

Main issue is only S0 sleep state available but no S3, which is the best for laptops.

Unfortunately, there is no way how to disable S0 and enable S3 by software changes, you can only modify BIOS.

Here is result of powercfg /a:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

Fast Startup
This action is disabled in the current system policy.

69 Posts

August 10th, 2020 03:00

For me the config is different:

C:\Windows\System32>powercfg /a
    Standby (S3)
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

So dont be sad that S3 is not available- its not working correctly. 

2 Posts

I am also getting the same output from the powercfg /a.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate

I guess this really is working as designed.  "S0 Low Power Idle" is called "Modern Standby" that uses less power with network connected. 

According to the below article, it says "Systems that support Modern Standby do not use S1-S3"

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63346-sleep-states-available-your-windows-10-pc.html

I was expecting an older style of sleep mode.  I guess I will have to get used to this.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

The best solution is try to let yourself sleep than your laptop.

Try to check the setting of your power options.

Maybe your power options to sleep is selected to "never".

Please check that one.

6 Posts

August 11th, 2020 00:00

Power option "never" is only for when I want to put my computer to sleep in idle. It does not have any impact to S0 or S3 state. Those states are provided by BIOS and system only reads, which are supported.

6 Posts

August 11th, 2020 08:00

@Smartparts  Nice try spammer

No Events found!