Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2019 11:00

Anyone else having freezing issues with Dell Latitude 7490's?

I’m curious if anyone else is having significant issues with Dell’s Latitude 7490 line.  I have around 200 of these machines in our environment, and about 1/3 of them are exhibiting issues with the system randomly freezing and becoming unresponsive.  These freezes are occurring anywhere from a few times a week, to a few times a day.  These computers aren’t Blue Screening - they’re just completely locking up (can't move anything on the screen) until you force reboot them.  Since the computers aren't BSOD'ing, there’s no crash dumps and nothing in any of the logs to help me track down what could be causing this. 

My initial thought was hardware failures.  I warrantied a couple of the machines with Dell, and had them replace the Motherboard and RAM.  The freezing issues were still occurring, so I’m looking into software issues at this point. I rebuilt a couple of these machines with a stock version of Windows 10 downloaded directly from Microsoft's website.  Through extensive trial and error testing, we verified that our standard corporate software is not causing this freezing issue.  Additionally, we use the exact same software on several other Latitude models, but only the 7490's are experiencing issues. 

Anyone else seen similar behavior with this particular model? 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 1st, 2019 04:00

@Christian_Javier that's strange that it only happens on high performance mode.

The system should run perfectly fine on performance mode, whilst plugged in unless you are doing something extremely processor intensive on the system.

What were you trying to run on the system when it was freezing?

Was the system plugged on or running on battery when it was in performance mode?

Is the issue still happening as a result of connecting / disconnecting the WD15 docking station?

Alan

3 Posts

October 10th, 2019 07:00

Exact same issue here, also narrowed it down to picking up laptop from left side. 

4 Posts

October 10th, 2019 14:00

I've got the same issue for few days, latitude 7490 worth of €1600 freezes every 30 minutes... that annoyed the hell out of me, it even froze in bios for me few times... and eventually now it's not even booting up as it stopped reading my ssd, it's not found in bios, it's not found anywhere.... dont get it what's going on with this machine....

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 11th, 2019 06:00

Hi,

That sounds more like a possible motherboard failure rather than the symptoms being described by the other forum members.

a) Was your system freezing if you picked it up by the left hand side?
b) Has the system been dropped at all?
c) Has the system been working fine up until this point?
d) Can you power it on into the BIOS or run the ePSA diagnostics without it freezing?
e) Do you use this system with one of our docking stations?

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details.

Alan

4 Posts

October 12th, 2019 11:00

Hi Alan, I've contacted dell support as this laptop is litelary brand new, I still have 3 year pro tech support on it personally I agree with you that it sounds like main board but tech support thinks that it's just M.2 card issue, they are sending me a new m.2 which should land on monday so well see as for answers to your questions:

A) system was freezing and randomly and when pressed left top corner or picked up laptop on left top corner.

B) this laptop is new, it never seen a drop or knock or anything like that

C) laptop was working fine for about 3 days and on 4th day started acting up 

D) it works in bios 100% if you run diagnostics it says that no storage media found or something like that, I had one occasion that it froze in bios but I can't remember did I pick it up on that stage or it was on the table not being moved.

E) I dont use any docking stations at all, it's just sitting on the desk

3 Posts

October 13th, 2019 04:00

@Suezeng  did it help to reseat the memory DIMM?

My laptop is still looks new and I do not want to open it first time without any strong reason. 

Also thinking about possible m.2 issue. few times I got corrupted filesystem (and needed to do fsck from initramfs) to recover and boot somehow.  

It seems like there are several reports with the same symptom of freeze when touching/handling laptop from the left side. Probably the root cause is the same. Is there any working solution? 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 14th, 2019 07:00

@Jtms thanks for the response. I believe that tech support have only considered one part of your issue, the SSD not showing in the diagnostics and not the freezing when being picked up.

They could be related though, it depends on where and how the SSD connects to the system board. If the system was shutting down when being picked up I would be looking at one component shorting the other one out. However as it's only freezing and locking up, their suggestion of an SSD could be whats required.

Have you had a chance to fit the replacement SSD yet?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 15th, 2019 02:00

Hey folks, 

The SSD on this system is positioned on the bottom left hand corner of the system

image.png

Would anyone affected by this issue be willing to try reseating the SSD to the motherboard and letting me know if the system is still freezing when picked up on the left hand side.

Here's the link to the service manual for the instructions - https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/latitude-14-7490-laptop/latitude_7490_om/removing-pcie-ssd?guid=guid-489ce8ca-8ab2-4289-8f7f-5241b7702779&lang=en-us

Alan

4 Posts

October 16th, 2019 13:00

My problem was solved by replacing the motherboard, dell send me replacement motherboard free of charge, took me few minutes to replace and it works as good as new (3 days before it broke)

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 18th, 2019 02:00

@Jtms that's interesting as I have a user advising they reseated the SSD and so far it has resolved the issue. We are waiting on the results of longer term testing.

Can I ask if you tried reseating the SSD as part of your troubleshooting?

Alan

4 Posts

October 21st, 2019 01:00

Hi Alan, sorry for late reply first of all dell replaced ssd for me so I reset all settings in bios and installed new m.2 ssd but it worked only for about 5 minutes and died again then dell sent me a new main board and since then I have no issues what's so ever

1 Message

October 22nd, 2019 04:00

hi Alan

I have a customer who requesting help on this issue.

He is complaining to have a lot of BSOD/ untimely shut down/ Black screen on the latitude 7490.

Some issues are resolved by Motherboard replacement but for other systems the MB replacement didn’t resolve the problem.

the intel graphic driver update didn't resolve the problem.

I read that a reseat of the memory can be a solution.

Do you have other recommendation or update to advise to the customer ?

Thanks

1 Message

October 22nd, 2019 09:00

I don't use a mouse. Plugged and not plugged, whenever I touch the upper left side, or pick it up wrongly, it freezes. It's definitely a hardware problem and if I could, I'd open it up and fix it myself. 

October 22nd, 2019 09:00

Sometimes it is not the PC: don’t forget to rule out issues with your mouse – perhaps the cable(if you still use it got unplugged from the source. Or if you use a wireless mouse, try changing the batteries. Sometimes it is that simple.

1 Message

October 24th, 2019 13:00

how can i  reseated the memory module?

No Events found!