Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 6th, 2018 18:00

Connect Latitude 5289 to 2 monitors

I would like to connect the 5289 to 2 monitors, with 1st monitor showing the primary screen and the 2nd monitor showing the extended screen without using a docking station.

The 1st monitor has HDMI port and the 2nd monitor has USB-C (the monitor has DVI and I use a DVI to USB-C adapter) for the connection. 

I'm able to set up both screens if the 2nd monitor (using USB-C connection) is connected to the laptop's USB-C port that is also used for charger input. If I connect the monitor through the 2nd USB-C port of the laptop, it won't recognize the 2nd monitor anymore and leave only the 1st (HDMI connected) monitor active.

If I remove the HDMI connection, then the laptop will see the 2nd monitor even if I use the 2nd USB-C port (the port that is not used for charger input). 

Is there a way to use both the HDMI and the 2nd USB-C port at the same time to connect both monitors? Because I would like to plug in the charger and keep the laptop in AC power....

Also, I would like to close the laptop cover when I'm using the monitors. Right now, if I close the cover, the laptop goes into sleep. Any suggestion to work around this one too?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 6th, 2018 20:00

That's very strange behavior you've described about the second USB-C port only being usable when the HDMI port is not in use.  My guess as to why that occurs is that the GPU only has two outputs connected to it.  The first one is dedicated to the charger USB-C port and the second one is shared between the second USB-C port and the HDMI output.  You can try updating your BIOS firmware and GPU drivers to see if that makes a difference, but if not, then if you don't want to use a docking station, the only option to run 2 displays while still being able to charge your system (other than using DisplayLink adapters, I would only recommend as a last resort) would be to use a "mini-dock" that includes display output and USB charging passthrough, like this one.  If you've never heard of Anker, they're known for making quality products (particularly battery packs, cables, and hubs), and I've personally used this product.

As for closing the lid, if you go into Power Options, you can change the Lid Close Action to just "Do Nothing" rather than Sleep, but then of course you would have to manually put your system to sleep in Windows.  A quick way to do this is to right-click the Start button (or press WinKey+X) and then go to the "Shut down or sign out" menu.  If you wanted the system to continue sleeping when you close the lid but you just want a way to wake it back up while the lid is closed, then you would need a dock that has a system power button, like the Dell WD15.

1 Message

October 14th, 2020 03:00

What worked for me was to connect the USBC/HDMI adaptor to the first USBC outlet and the charger to the second one.  Now I have 2 active monitors (USBC and HDMI outlets on the comp) and the computer is still charging.

The second USBC video output appears to be shared with HDMI and works only if the HDMI cable is disconnected from the comp.         

2 Posts

January 15th, 2023 20:00

Just came in here to stay that worked!

It does in fact appear that the second USBC video output is shared with the HDMI port. I also moved the first monitor to USBC #1, the charger in USBC #2 and the second monitor in the HDMI port.

Thanks for the help!

No Events found!