Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

March 21st, 2019 05:00

Dell 5490 Bios update failure

I have been having some issues with a Dell 5490 I was given, so I decided to update the BIOS on it. Both from Windows 10 and USB Flash mode the BIOS instantly says it fails on reboot and then restarts my laptop. I noticed that the BIOS Flashing section of the built in USB flasher says I am on version 0.5.0 but to my knowledge that is not even a valid bios version. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on why I can't seem to update it?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 21st, 2019 06:00

To find out what bios version you have, open the Run box and type msinfo32    You must be signed in as Administrator. Updating the bios rarely helps with computer problems and can complicate things. Run the diagnostics instead to find any problems with hardware. Or post the problems in this forum for help from other users.

13 Posts

March 21st, 2019 08:00

I have the same problem333.jpg

April 5th, 2019 20:00

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with life related issues.

When I ran msinfo, my bios string is as follows:

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 0.5.0, 8/18/2017

Which doesn't seem to make much sense to me, and its the same that the actual bios is reporting.

I ran full diagnostics and nothing was abnormal, everything passed. The biggest issue i have is with Linux distro's on this laptop I am getting black screen flashes and nothing ever seems to fix it. In the past I've had to update the bios to fix similar issues and was planning to do that till this issue came up. It seems to not happen on Windows. 

13 Posts

April 12th, 2019 11:00

Does anyone know how to fix the Bios upgrade problem and what is version 0.5.0? I want to update the bios, for me it is important, why when I try to upgrade, I get a screen with the inscription: "firmware update failed rebooting your system"

13 Posts

April 13th, 2019 09:00

I have another problem, my service tag ( ) does not find on the dell side, writes that the product does not exist, how could this be? maybe so i can not update bios?

April 22nd, 2019 18:00

Yeah my Service Tag doesn't come up with anything as well

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

January 14th, 2020 12:00

Same problem, I did the scan with Dell Support Assist which tells me that the bios needs to be updated (I have 1.10.1, it needs to be updated to 1.12.1), but it always fails. Does anyone know why?

1 Message

February 6th, 2020 02:00

I just bought an Inspiron 5490 that wants to update the BIOS, saying its urgent but fails to do so. Current one is 1.3.0 and it wants to install 1.4 apparently.  As this is new computer and I have had no response from DELL about this I am not happy.

No Events found!