Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2020 13:00

Dell 7400 Headphone Jack Not Working

Like many have reported in the past (on many other Dell models), I am experiencing a problem with the headphone jack on my new Dell 7400. The jack will work, but ONLY if I boot up the computer with headphones/headset plugged into the jack. But if I unplug the headphones while the computer is running, then they will NOT work when I plug them back in (unless as indicated, I boot up the computer with them plugged in). Bottomline, it appears that the computer is simply not monitor the headphone jack….so can't detect when something gets plugged into it, and therefore doesn't switch to the appropriate sound output device. I've tried every solution in the book that I found in these forums, and none of them have resolved the issue. I've run the Dell Command Updates (many times...and have no updates available). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the RealTek Audio drivers as well as the Maxx Audio drivers/applications. Nothing has worked. Please help?

April 17th, 2020 13:00

Just to close the loop on this...I'm happy to report that I was FINALLY able to get this very frustrating problem solved. Turns out my computer was actually missing the MaxxAudioPro application entirely, and I think I now know why. You see, the only place you can get the application is via the Microsoft Store, but my company blocks access to the Microsoft Store, so I had now way of getting it. I'm guessing that whoever built this machine had the same problem (no access to the Microsoft Store), so they just blew it off and moved on. Well, as of yesterday, I was finally able to get somebody from IT to install MaxxAudioPro for me, and now my headphone/mic jack FINALLY works properly. What an ordeal it was? Throughout the whole process, my I.T. dept's solution was to just get another computer, but I wasn't so eager to do that since it took me a week to get moved into this one. Anyway, I'm glad it's finally resolved for me. Hope this maybe helps somebody else in the future. Regards, John

60 Posts

April 17th, 2020 06:00

Hello - I suffered through this for weeks, but finally found the right solution.

The problem is that IT departments often leave out adding the Media Pack to Windows, which is needed for the MaxxAudio software.  You can confirm this is the issue by going to MaxxAudio - and you will often get an error that your drivers are not up to date.  If you click on the sound test in the bottom right, it will tell you that you need the Media Pack.

However, you can't just download this from Microsoft.

You need to go to "Manage Optional Features" in Windows settings, and then add the Media Features Pack.  REBOOT (you do not get a warning that you need to do this).

Voilla - things will now work.  When you plug your headset into the 3.5mm plug, MaxxAudio will come up and ask you what you plugged in.

FYI, if you once or twice felt like things worked without this process, I noticed that before I added the media pack the earbuds would work if I booted the system WITH the earbuds plugged in.  But once you pull them out, it no longer works.

You must keep the MaxxAudio software and Dell Realtek drivers.  If you removed them, you should reinstall them from the Dell support site.

Let me know if this works!

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 17th, 2020 07:00

@Rhyalus_RSA 

Thanks! I did not know about the Optional Features.

I have Windows 10 Pro v1909 that I installed myself. There is no option for Media Pack.

60 Posts

April 17th, 2020 08:00

So you clicked on "Add a feature" and the Media Pack is not there?

R

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 17th, 2020 12:00

@Rhyalus_RSA 

I Googled about Media Pack and seems to be something needed for N versions of Windows 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

I already have Media Player installed.

60 Posts

April 17th, 2020 13:00

Sorry - if you have the MaxxAudio software and audio drivers installed FROM the Dell support website, I am not sure what to suggest.

I can tell you that I had the same exact symptom;  if I booted with the earbuds, it worked...  otherwise it did not.

When you run the MaxxAudio software and click on the Sound Test icon in the bottom right, what happens?  Do you hear music or do you get an error?

R

1 Message

August 9th, 2020 03:00

This is nonsense. I have MaxxAudioPro on my machine, there is no additional sets to download.

Having a system that is so unresponsive to day-to-day activity is simply unacceptable. The assumption that we should all be nerds to solve these issue through complex adjustment is simply laziness.

60 Posts

August 10th, 2020 08:00

By the way, there is still an inherent problem.

When I plug in the ear buds, the system (MaxxAudio, actually) recognizes them and they are functional.

However, they don't act like a typical "audio device".  I can no switch from them to any other audio device.  I must unplug them to get sound to come from somewhere else.  Maybe that is the way things are on laptops.

I'll experiment with other headphones, like USB dongle wireless.

R

87 Posts

August 21st, 2020 12:00

"The answer my friends..." is to ditch all of the Realtek audio-related drivers/software and allow Windows to take over the audio devices.

After struggling with microphone, speaker, and/or headphones issues for several months, I recently ran across a hint left by a Vostro user (which practically bit me!).  I uninstalled all of the Realtek audio drivers and rebooted, allowing Windows to reinstall the devices with Microsoft-based audio drivers...and BAM!!  The microphone works (and indicates healthier volume levels), and I can plug in a set of headphones, @ will, without them dropping out.

I quickly realized that I didn't need the Waves / Maxx app, and that I didn't need a fancy pop-up to prompt me about what I was plugging into the headphones jack.  And I don't plan on going back!

I have since tested this "theory" against the following models, all of which gave us trouble in one regard or the other, and they're all working as they should be.  The Latitude E7470, 7480, 7490, 7400 [2nd Gen], and the newer 7410.

No Events found!