Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 15th, 2018 14:00

Dell E6430 Bios Wil not update.

I know the Dell 6430 is an old laptop but I am having an odd issue and after some searching, I've found no real solution that works.  Here's my issue:

I was given a dell 6430 with a busted screen and bad hard drive. I've re-habbed the laptop for my son's use as a web browsing / video watching laptop.

RAM: 8 gb

BIOS : A07.  Here is the issue.  When I try and update the bios to any bios, it fails.  I do notice that this laptop has the digital signature required feature.

What I've tried with no success:

Updating to the same version as a transitional fix from A07 to A07  --- Failed

Updating to A09 - Failed

Unplugging c-mos battery then re-applying current version of A07 -- failed

Installing bios via dos bootable usb -- Failed.

Changing root permissions on folder structure and re-apply bios -- Failed

So far nothing has worked, I've searched forums but have found no success, anyone else resolve this issue.  Again I know it's an old issue but I'm curious how this has not been resolved.

9.4K Posts

January 16th, 2018 07:00

Hi JRBurns80,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that you are having difficulty updating the BIOS on your Latitude E6420.  Be sure that after you reinstalled the Operating System that you installed the drivers in the correct order.  Here is a Dell Knowledge Base article you may find helpful.  Also other users have posted that you should perform the BIOS updates in the Operating System the computer came with rather than Windows 10.

27 Posts

January 18th, 2018 09:00

If the drivers and download page OS drop down list is set at W10  surely all the BIOS updates and drivers shown should be W10 compatible. Re-installing the old OS, with all the time and inconvenience that entails, every time a BIOS update is required is ludicrous.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 10:00

I'm not sure why @robert p is wasting time talking about the OS.  The BIOS update application when launched from Windows simply sends an image to the firmware and then the system itself handles the flash on a reboot, so OS support isn't relevant here.  And after all, as the OP said, the BIOS can also be flashed via bootable flash drive, and even THAT has apparently failed, which is further evidence that the OS isn't the problem.

At what point exactly is this failure occurring?  Are you seeing an error when you try to launch the updater within Windows, or does that part work and then you see a failure message when the system attempts to apply the BIOS update upon reboot?  And either way, do you get an actual error message or anything more detailed than just "Failed"?

3 Posts

That's the odd thing, there is never an actual "Failure" notice, no erros written to the BIOS log or anything, it's just not updating. The installer runs fun, reboots the laptop, and then nothing happens.  I read another forum stating something about this BIOS can be stopped from being updated by some locking mechanism but I've never dealt with that.  There is no BIOS pw or any admin pw for the bios setup either.  I've tried flashing from the windows installer and from the DOS installer, neither worked.  the program processes but nothing happens, no failure, no error, nothing, Just that the bios never updates. As stated I tried flashing the same bios that it already has to maybe "unstick" it but that doesn't work either.

9.4K Posts

Was this computer shipped from the factory with Windows 10 installed?

3 Posts

No, it had windows 7 on it, but the OS would not cause the BIOS update to fail, the flash of the bios is a prior to OS loading.

June 29th, 2018 05:00

I am having exactly the same problem with the same model computer.  I most recently tried doing it from a formatted USB drive.  No error messages or anything.  The computer reboots.  Was there ever a solution found?  Thanks.

2 Posts

July 6th, 2018 10:00

HI I have the same problem, I keep getting urgent update from the Dell Command update app , I download it to the desk top , I run it in Windows and it shows a progress bar , it then reboots and is exactly the same Bios as before I have done this at least 10 times to no avail.

The Laptop was shipped with Windows 7 on it but was updated to windows 10 when the OS  first came out, surely we do not have to downgrade back to Win 7 to update the Bios.

Any help would be appreciated

27 Posts

July 8th, 2018 10:00

But Dell Command update app is not supported by Windows 10. Try  Dell Support Assistant instead.

9 Posts

August 27th, 2018 12:00

I have the exact same problem with my E6230. Dell needs to do something about it, or next time many of us will pick a brand with better customer care. 

October 24th, 2018 19:00

It´s been sometime from this post but, I have a E7440 with the exact same frustrating issue. And I would love to update BIOS since there is a patch that helps out with the Intel LAN firmware that is giving me problems...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 25th, 2018 11:00

Dell Update seems to work better than other Dell utilities for updating all Dell Drivers including UEFI BIOS Updates on Windows 10 however once installed, in order for it to work it has to right clicked and ran as an administrator:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=HGDR1&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9365-2-in-1-laptop

See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-update-for-windows-10/

N.B. although it only lists Inspirons, XPS and Alienwares as compatible. I've had it working on some OptiPlex models.

Otherwise try manually updating the UEFI BIOS using the A25 update here:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/latitude-e7440-ultrabook.html

October 26th, 2018 15:00

No luck, fellow. Although much apreciated since you hint me with extra tests. I am just gonna ask for the money back. This will be the 2nd E7440 refurbished I send back in a row. Last one had a problem with the CPU stuck at 800Mhz constantly. Just got tired of fighting these laptops.

1 Message

May 31st, 2019 16:00

I tried a post earlier so if this a repeat sorry, I ran the exe in a folder on root of the boot drive and it worked.

June 10th, 2019 14:00

Sorry for the delay on answering! I tried that at that time and did not work. I ended up just returnign it. Later I purchased an XPS L322X from a friend of mine, which I could try at full for an entire month before getting it. It is an old model, but it does the job just fine. I am very glad to hear that you could find a solution for yours!

No Events found!