Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2021 08:00

Dell Latitude 7420 sound input detection issues

Hello,

Since I use the new 7420 it doesn't detect my external audio system through the docking station or just with the jack and headsets. I put all updates from Dell Command Update. I think there is something with the firmware.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

5 Posts

June 12th, 2022 21:00

I used Procmon to assess Teams and for this error from the Registry where the Audio driver is installed. 

Ginette_A_0-1655095029123.png

When is Dell going to properly fix this? We have a fleet of these Dell Latitude 7420s and they seem to always have Audio related issues. it looks like a Teams issue, but also happening with Zoom and anything that needs to call the Audio device. 

This has worked for the time being:

go to "Device Manager" then "Sound, video and game controllers", and then right click on "Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio" and disable it.

So far I've encountered 2 devices with this issue, one I was able to reset. The alternative drivers to replace Reltek is Install WaveMax Audio Pro from Dell support download.

Please resolve this. 

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

March 10th, 2022 05:00

According to Dell's engineers the workaround so far is:

Open Device Manager and uninstall the following:

Sound:
 - Intel Smart Sound Technology for MIPI SoundWire Audio
System devices:
 -Intel Smart Sound Technology MIPI SoundWire Controller

Open Programs and Features and uninstall the following:
- Realtek Audio Driver

Reboot without installing any new drivers.

Cause: Windows Update driver install sequence is random. When the Intel Smart Sound Technology OED device is updated first, the red “x” will occur and cause the Realtek Audio driver to be lost, causing the speaker and mic to not function.

I'll keep you all posted as we get updates.

April 28th, 2022 06:00

Same here. I've got over 20 latitude 5520's and I'm getting more laptops coming down with this issue each day. I've tried uninstalling the Intel Smart Sound Technology and deleting the driver from device manager, but after a restart it appears in device manager again. I can't seem to get rid of it

I've now just tried disabling Intel Smart Sound Technology OED under System Devices on one of my machines and so far so good

April 1st, 2021 11:00

Do you have the Dell Optimizer installed?

I had problems with the MIC on my headset until I installed the Dell Optimizer perhaps that'll fix your issue too.

April 2nd, 2021 00:00

I installed it yes.

I will try to uninstall but I think I had this issue before Dell Optimizer.

Thanks for the tips.

199 Posts

April 2nd, 2021 01:00

This is Dell's updated article on audio issues:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000179430/how-to-troubleshoot-audio-or-sound-recording-issues

The problem you have only occurs when you are docked? 

What external audio system are you using? Is it a USB headset or something else?

What dock are you using?

April 2nd, 2021 01:00

Unfortunately uninstalling Dell Optimizer didn't solved the issue

The problem occurs even if I'm docked or not.

If I plug the headset in the jack, it's not detected.

I already reinstalled the audio drivers many times with different versions to be sure.

Luckly I have a USB headset so it's working this way but not by the jack

Even on the jack with the docks (WD15 and D1000 - firmwares up to date) it's working sometimes.

There is 2 USB-C ports for this laptop.

I need to test again but depending on the USB-C port choosen it's maybe better.

I have a Dell 34" curved monitor and the sound is not travelling to the audio system.

It was working fine with my Dell 7490 before.

199 Posts

April 2nd, 2021 07:00

OK, so is the monitor the P3421W? Curious.

Is the monitor connected to the dock, and the laptop to the dock?

When you say the microphone isn't always detected, are you indicating with the input on the dock, or on the laptop, or both?

The 7420 has a combination headphone/microphone combined or "universal" port. It needs a special cable if you wanted to just plug in a special microphone, or you wanted to use a headset with separate microphone and headphone plugs.

On the WD15, on the front (with the fewest ports) there is also a combo microphone / headphone jack. On the back (with the most ports) there is a "line-out" jack for use with an external amplified set of speakers.

Normally, I would say, if you were using a headset/microphone with a universal port, the "line out" that you might use with say, external amplified speakers wouldn't work, unless you used the Sound Device control in Windows10 to indicate where you wanted the audio out to go.

Also with the sound control, in Win10, I would think you could select between the microphone that is built-in to the laptop or the one on your headset/microphone (or external microphone).

In otherwords, is your problem that you haven't experimented with the sound control in the lower-right corner of the taskbar to select the input and outputs you want to use?

April 2nd, 2021 08:00

My monitor is the U3419W.

Now I'm using the USB-C cable of the monitor to plug the laptop.

But same issue that I have with the 2 other dockings.

For the jack I though about the combo issue too but there is 3 rings on it so it should support this function.

I don't understand.

And i have an issue with my external speakers which are not always detected.

When it's working I'm able to choose the audio device I want from the sound icon in the tray bar of Windows.

I plugged a 2.1 kit on the monitor through the internal jack and normally using USB-C it should propagate the sound from the laptop to the external audio kit.

It's working well with my Surface Book 2.

I'm totally lost with this issue.

The sound from the laptop speakers is so bad

April 6th, 2021 07:00

Hello,

I found a workaround !

When I disable and then re-enable the "Realtek audio" device in the device manager I'm able to choose the audio source. Now I need a full fix but I think it's in the Realtek driver.

Edit : It's working only one time. If I unplug and replug the jack I cannot choose and have to disable/re-enable the "Realtek audio" device. Very strange.

April 7th, 2021 00:00

Unfortunately this is not solving the issue I have with my 34" monitor.

The external speakers are not detected when I disable / re-enable the "Relaktek audio" device.

April 7th, 2021 01:00

Already done without success

199 Posts

April 7th, 2021 01:00

How about just going to the Dell Support site for the 7420 and instead of running Dell Optimizer or Dell Command Update.... just use the option for Dell to search your computer and determine if there are driver updates:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-14-7420-2-in-1-laptop/drivers

199 Posts

April 8th, 2021 04:00

I'm out of ideas, except purchasing an external USB soundcard interface. They are very inexpensive on Amazon. I know, I know, shouldn't be necessary, but obviously you have something going on, be it drivers, hardware or both... When I hit the wall, I consider all my options. This might not be a perfect one, but at some point, what is your time and sanity worth?

2 Posts

June 1st, 2021 09:00

Audio does not switch when headphones connected to the audio jack on Dell systems with Realtek audio | Dell Romania

Check the link above.

I had to download manually the latest RealTek drivers.

Please note that the windows update did not really update this properly !!!

The download package is bigger than 1 GB and requires 2 reboots.

After all this, finally I am able to see the Jack microphone in the input devices list.

No Events found!